Messages and FaceTime cannot access.

LWG

Reaction score
Message appears that says: "Error occurred in authorization." I cannot send messages or use facetime.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We're going to need a bit more information than that to try to assist:

-This is on a Mac, correct?
-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Do you have an iCloud account?
-If so, do the other iCloud functions work - i.e. Contacts, Calendars, Notes, Mail, Find My Mac, etc.?

C

LWG

Reaction score
This is a MacAir High Sierra with an iCloud account and, yes, Contacts, Calendars Notes, Mail, etc work

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

A few things to check:
-Do you have an iPhone or iPad, and do they work on it?
-Can you login to appleid.apple.com and/or icloud.com with your Apple ID account?
-Are date & time correct?
-Do you have the firewall enabled?
-Do you have custom DNS entered in Network preference pane?
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper/CleanMyMac/antivirus/etc. installed?
-Have you tried the NVRAM and SMC resets?
-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?

C

Reaction score
I had this problem a few months ago. You probably have some ports that need to be opened on your DSL/Cable modem. You can find a list of those ports at apple.com/support and fish around for Messages/FaceTime.

You can probably access the "internals" of your DSL/Cable modem by typing 192.168.1.254 into your web browser (that seems to be a nearly universal IP address for accessing these devices, but this might be different for you).

You may have to find a page which lists all the applications on your Mac which have permission to use your modem, and if Messages/FaceTime aren't there, you'll have to add them.

You'll also need to find the webpage on apple.com/support concerning troubleshooting and you'll find a complete list of the ports that will need to be opened. If you can't perform this task yourself, you can contact your ISP and give them the list of the ports that need to be opened and they can do it by remote.

Ask a Question