Unwanted Pop up Screen Messages

Reaction score
Must have placed something on my keyboard which brought up an irritating item which is in a text box at bottom of my screen telling me where I am on screen. Do not know what it is called in order to delete it.. It's in a black box with white words like a silent voice over. How do I delete this. Would be most grateful if anyone can help me.

Reaction score
Need some more information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you running?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

4. Can you "nail down" when exactly this started? And if possible, what were you doing with your machine right before this started?

When the "item" appears on your screen, move your mouse over it, and right click on the mouse. One of the options you'll see is Get Info. Select that, and see if it tells you anything.

I guess it is possible you got some adware/malware onto your machine. You could try and download, install, and run the excellent freeware programs Malwarebytes, available from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

It sounds like you have activated VoiceOver. Depending on your version of OS X/macOS, you can turn it off a few ways:

-Try pressing Command-F5
-System Preferences > Accessibility > VoiceOver > uncheck the box next to Enable VoiceOver

Let us know if that resolves the issue,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

It sounds like you have activated VoiceOver. Depending on your version of OS X/macOS, you can turn it off a few ways:

-Try pressing Command-F5
-System Preferences > Accessibility > VoiceOver > uncheck the box next to Enable VoiceOver

Let us know if that resolves the issue,

C
Thank you and perfect, it was the Voice over. Now back to normal. John.

Ask a Question