WMV files not playing AT ALL on any player!

Reaction score
I can't open any wmv files in any player - not even quicktime. I have flip4mac and it opens wmv files in firefox. i've tried to download media player for mac OS X countless times. i can download the .bin file but my system won't let me open it for some reason. i downloaded VLC and that won't work either. it opens the wmv files but all i see are coloured pixels - it looks like i don't have the right codec. a friend of mine told me that VLC can play anything. he said if it doesn't work, something could be seriously wrong.

i have macbook and it's 6 months old.

i don't know what to do, i'm at my wits end. does anyone have any idea on what to do or any advice? i'm not clued up IT stuff.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

first thing to try, create a new user account on you Mac, then download flip4mac in that account...if it works then you know that it is just 'your' user account that has gone a bit astray.

I doubt that there is anything seriously wrong.

The easiest way to fix this would be to back up all you files, just in case, then pop in your install DVD and do an archive and install, this will then get you back to a nice 'clean' System.

Then allow the Mac to do it's Software updates, then get flip4mac and you should be good to go.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
hi ric

thanks for the advice. i created a new user account and everything else but didn't make a difference. i haven't formatted my computer, perhaps as a last resort. i received a wmv file in an email and it played in quicktime with no problem.

it seems that it's the files from a particular website that i use, don't work. the site that i use is provided by a south african pay-channel and offers subscription for south african televisions shows. you can download the shows or watch them in the browser and neither works.

i don't know if it could be the website? a friend of mine with a macbook can watch from this website no problem - even with quicktime and VLC.

Ask a Question