Wireless connection

Reaction score
PowerBook G4 (gigabit ethernet)
Mac OSX 10.1.5

iMac 20inch
(just bought - latest OSX)

I have been using an ADSL braodband connection for the powerbook but having just bought the iMac now want to go to wireless.

The powerbook says it's 'airport ready' so I presume I'll need to get an airport card.
Also, my son has a pc (not mac) which would also need to be connected.

My questions are:

What airport card do I need for the G4 Powerbook?
What would be the best router to get to serve the macs and pc?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Barbara

Reaction score
Hi, Is your PowerBook pretty old? Several generations of PowerBooks have had the cards built in as part of the standard configuration. If it doesn't have one built in, you'll need an Apple branded card to fit the slot inside underneath the keyboard; if your computer is so old that it requires a "b" style card insead of a "g" card, your network will run slower overall, so try to at least get a "g" card installed. You can use other brands if your laptop has a pc slot on the side. You can also get wireless adapters to plug in to the USB port. The "language" used by Apple and other manufacturers is pretty much universal, so beyond the hardware fittings the brand won't matter.
The Apple wireless base-stations are nice because they include print servers which are expensive optional add-ons for other brands. Also, the Airport Express includes the ability to stream wireless music from your computers to your house stereo. Otherwise, you can really use any brand.
Apple is also easier to set up since the software is more intuitive and more Mac-like.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Hi and welcome Barbara,

It was an option on the 550MHz...the 667MHz had it built-in. Which model do you have?

That PowerBook requires the original, discontinued AirPort card. You can find them used around the Internet for about $75. I hear great things about the Buffalo Technology PCMCIA Wireless-G cards.

As for a router, I would go for an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station. No configuration hassles...100% compatible and reliable.

C

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for the advice.
It is an old powerbook (2001) so I'll look into the options.
I'll probably go with the apple router although feedback shows some general discontent with the longevity (15 - 18 months max). Do you have any views on this?

Also, how do I find out if the powerbook is 550Mhz or 667 Mhz?

Thanks

Barbara

Reaction score
Well, between my office and my house, I own three Apple G routers, they are all older than 18 months, and none of them have failed. On occassion I've needed to reset them, but beyond that mine have been flawless...

Reaction score
That could be; except Apple has unique fittings if you use the Airport slot to house the card; other brands require the pc slot...

Reaction score
no its a repackaged proxim orinocco gold card
but airport is just wifi using the 802.11b and g standards so any usb adapter would do as well
since airport cards are hideously expensive

Reaction score
no its a repackaged proxim orinocco gold card
but airport is just wifi using the 802.11b and g standards so any usb adapter would do as well
since airport cards are hideously expensive

Ask a Question