Where should I post my question?

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I'm not sure where I should post a request for help. I have an old Seagate external hard drive that I used to use with my iBook. The iBook died suddenly awhile back and I replaced it with a MacBook (OS X 10.6.8).

I've recently wanted to access some files on the old external drive but when I try, I get the following error message:

The folder “Storage” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

Where should I post this issue on the forum to get help?

Cheers,
sheps

Reaction score
Select the Drive Icon in Finder
Get Info from the File Menu
Right down the bottom check Ignore ownership on the volume

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Currently, ~8.5GB is the largest DL DVD available. There isn't any media that can support a 16GB burn. You could simply copy the content of that folder to an external HD.

C

Reaction score
The iTunes update is crazy. It installed all my old "songs" alphabetically. E.g. Haydn's F minor quartet had Adagio (the 3rd movement) before Moderato (the first movement). How do I reinstall iTunes without the update. I desperately need help

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What version are you looking for and what OS version do you have? Do you have Time Machine configured? Or any sort of ongoing backup system?

Reaction score
There is no order, just click on the column heading you want them sorted by.
Artist, Album, Kind, Time they all sort.

It will have updated your iTunes Database so if you restore iTunes you will need to rebuild all your playlists.

Reaction score
Also just be aware that there are options in Apple-TV and the iOS 6 that work with the new iTunes. And there will be more into the future, if you go back you may find things no longer "just work". I've also had to update my -TV because of this update, but thats the price of progress.

Reaction score
Yes, Dawn. Time Machine is up and running. Reinstalling an earlier version of iTunes does not help. The version of iTunes I want and need is the one that came with Snow Leopard and precedes the hopeless update.
Anthony

Reaction score
Did you ever get an answer to this part of your question?

Kaveman answered the part about retrieving files from an old external hard drive, but not the part about where to post a new question or an introduction.

All I see is a button to Reply to an existing msg.

cheers
marti

Reaction score
Not sure how you're navigating to here, but if you click on the Home menu, above the Post Reply Button, it will allow you to see all the Forums. You can then navigate to an appropriate Section, then create a new Thread.

If your New Thread Question is in the right Section it is more likely to be found and answered.

Reaction score
I can see that there were a number of replies to this question, but I cannot access them.

It says there were five replies from Kaveman, but when I poke his name to read his replies, I get his personal profile instead.

How can I get to read the actual replies?

Reaction score
Well, it seems that there is an iPhone thread, or maybe it's an iPhone forum, I saw it listed somewhere, but when I poked "iPhone", nothing happened.

I mean it was not a live link.

thanx
marti

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I'm not sure where I should post a request for help. I have an old Seagate external hard drive that I used to use with my iBook. The iBook died suddenly awhile back and I replaced it with a MacBook (OS X 10.6.8).

I've recently wanted to access some files on the old external drive but when I try, I get the following error message:

The folder “Storage” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

Where should I post this issue on the forum to get help?

Cheers,
sheps
Did you ever get an answer to this, and if so, could you please share that answer with me?

I keep asking and asking - I tried sending a Private Message to Kaveman, but you can only write to him if you are a member of some elite group.

Does anyone belong to another Mac User's forum I could join, where I could actually post a question and get a reply.

thanks
marti

Reaction score
Select the Drive Icon in Finder
Get Info from the File Menu
Right down the bottom check Ignore ownership on the volume
Wow, the answer was the very next post. So yes he did get an answer.

This is a free public forum, where anyone and everyone can ask and answer questions. I have received PMs in the past, so not sure what the problem may be. I'm not a moderator here so can't see or do anything more than any other users.

If you want to ask "me" a private question, then I work at iLike computing ltd, there's a contact form there. I'm always happy to help new customers.

Reaction score
I don't know what "Go Advanced" means, but nothing else has worked so I thought, What the hell!

It seems that you can post a question (as just a reply to someone else post) in Intrductions, which is where I seemed to have wound up.

But how do you get an answer> I can see that many people do receive answers but I cannot see how they accomplished this.

Apple's online Help is useless for getting answers, unless you want them in the form of a Zen Koan.

The best help I've found is the the series of Missing Manuals by David Pogue. But alas, there seems not to be a users form associated with his site.

The ironic thing is that I received a "Welcome" msg when I joined - but it was one of those ugly "Do not reply".

I have been a Mac head since 1991 and am now on ManBook Pro with Mountain Lion and also an iPhone and an iPad and a Cloud account, which based on what I've seen so far is utterly rubbish. I poked the cloud icon the other day and it disgorged a history of every website I'd visited since I activated the Cloud account! Appalling!

I can no longer get help from the university because I had to quit due to disability. That same disability has made it impossible for me to call Apple for help - I have so much scar tissue on my vocal cords that automated voice systems just says, "Sorry I didn't get that" over and over and over. I could probably sue them under the Americans With Disabilities Act, but don't have the energy.

For that reason, please excuse the typos. I am not careless; I just have Sjogren's disease which make it very hard to discern the difference between similar words. It is not without its humorous aspects. The other day, I read "landscape" as "lampshade".

So I thought I try these Mac Users forums. This is the first one I've joined and
so far it has been a complete loss.

What's a "Trackback" BTW?

I'd love to hear that the post seen by somebody. If it's been seen by someone who would be interested in helping me, I'll go turn handsprings of joy in the front yard.

cheers
marti

Reaction score
But how do you get an answer>
You can't "get" an answer here, we are volunteers, if we can help by adding to a thread we do, just as you have. There is no mystery to it.

Apple Help is very diverse and the search is very comprehensive. It also uses real language parsing so you can ask questions and it will try and infer the best answers.

Your web history is kept by the browsers so you can quickly return to a site you have visited before. If you use Google they record a lot more information about you, your web history, your location, emails and more. Apple does not access your iCloud account nor your browser history.

Many of us have disabilities, this really isn't the place to document them.

Perhaps you have us confused with the Apple Support

Ask a Question