What are the advantages of ElCapitan upgrade?

Reaction score
Each time I have upgraded OSX I have had a hassle using one or another treasured software (similar to the problem with BootCamp described above). What advantages will I get as a trade off for the hassle or changing startup drives or some other equally confusing crap? I use a Mac for simplicity and its "what you see is what you get" nature. If I have to go into the "back office" to mess with stuff, I'll forego the modernity of an "upgreade."

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-What version of OS X are you running now?
-Which apps are you worried about as far as compatibility?

C

Reaction score
I am using a 13 inch MacBook from late 2009 running Yosemite 10.10.5. I have no specific worries, but a general concern that what Apple or you or whichever young hotshot considers an improvement in the "upgrade" has, historically, not been so for me. Beginning all the way back when they discontinued support for AppleWorks with its user friendly flexibility in favor or iWork or whatever and continuing with the disimprovement of "Pages," which made the formatted programs that I created for my own work and journals obsolete (thank goodness I was able to reload the old version and keep my treasured work), progress a la "upgrade" has not been my friend. My mail program was Eudora for many years, and I have megagigs of emails stored in that program. When I moved to Yosemite, it was no longer supported. The tedium of reestablishing mailboxes, filters and stationery (which I haven't learned to store and use properly) in Thunderbird has all but defeated me.
I'm sure that I'm just a gun-shy old man, but at eighty after using a system for thirty years I've become fond of the ease of that system. My question stands: What's the point of an upgrade for me?

Reaction score
First, it would be good for you to exhibit an improved attitude. None of us here claim to be any kind of hot shot, but instead make a sincere effort to try and help someone out.

Secondly, it is unfortunate when a piece of software is no longer supported with a new OS, but typically, there are viable alternatives. I also used to use Eudora for my EMail needs, but given that I use Word and Excel also, I just "upgraded" to Office 2008 in initially, and subsequently to Office 2011. The Office package includes the EMail program Outlook, and from what I remember, it was a breeze to import everything from Eudora to Outlook.

Fortunately, for more recent OS upgrades, for all the third party software I use, it either continued to work fine, or the company had upgrades available. When I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan, I did need to upgrade 6 critical programs, and it went well.

For your situation, as long as your use of the machine is "simple", and given that Yosemite is not an "old" OS, you need to stay where you are. That is, if all you use your machine for is to check EMail, browse the web, and fire off an occasional document, it is not necessary for you to upgrade.

Reaction score
Thank you, honestone.
I am a writer and "consultant," so use the computer for extensive email, lots of word processor documents, my blog, and some PDF's. I do extensive research on the web as well.
You have confirmed my suspicion that for me, an upgrade is not advantageous.
I reference to "young hotshots" was the product of envy. When I was younger I worked with and in awe of some incredibly bright men and women much younger than I. They were innovators and fixers and changers, and they left me in the cyber dust — not unkindly, really, they were just on a different plane and I was still puzzling over "see Spot jump."
I'm sure it's not lost on you that your moniker conveys not only your trustworthiness, but also as "one who sharpens:" hone stone. Again, thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Thank you, honestone.
I am a writer and "consultant," so use the computer for extensive email, lots of word processor documents, my blog, and some PDF's. I do extensive research on the web as well.
You have confirmed my suspicion that for me, an upgrade is not advantageous.
I reference to "young hotshots" was the product of envy. When I was younger I worked with and in awe of some incredibly bright men and women much younger than I. They were innovators and fixers and changers, and they left me in the cyber dust — not unkindly, really, they were just on a different plane and I was still puzzling over "see Spot jump."
I'm sure it's not lost on you that your moniker conveys not only your trustworthiness, but also as "one who sharpens:" hone stone. Again, thank you for your help.

First, the user name is honestone, not hone stone. You need to get that correct.

Secondly, I am a little younger than you (72 to be exact), and while I also was in "envy" during my younger/working days of "sharp" folks, I don't even think about that any more, as 1) I stay "tech savy" as far as Macs (and associated software) are concerned, and 2) when I taught Mathematics courses part time for about 5 years at a few community colleges after I retired, I got very, very dismayed with the young folks in society. I could tell so many stories, it would make one's head spin!

Third, there is the old (and accurate) saying, "I'm like fine wine. I get better with age". I truly believe in that, and it definitely helps that I keep in good to excellent health, always maintain a positive attitude, and have no financial concerns.

Fourth, for your writing tasks, what word processor are you using? Also, do you use spreadsheets at all? The reason I ask is that Office 2011 seems like it would be a good product for you to use. Word of course is excellent, as is Excel. And as I mentioned above, Outlook "behaves" nicely with Eudora.

Reaction score
First, the user name is honestone, not hone stone. You need to get that correct.

Secondly, I am a little younger than you (72 to be exact), and while I also was in "envy" during my younger/working days of "sharp" folks, I don't even think about that any more, as 1) I stay "tech savy" as far as Macs (and associated software) are concerned, and 2) when I taught Mathematics courses part time for about 5 years at a few community colleges after I retired, I got very, very dismayed with the young folks in society. I could tell so many stories, it would make one's head spin!

Third, there is the old (and accurate) saying, "I'm like fine wine. I get better with age". I truly believe in that, and it definitely helps that I keep in good to excellent health, always maintain a positive attitude, and have no financial concerns.

Fourth, for your writing tasks, what word processor are you using? Also, do you use spreadsheets at all? The reason I ask is that Office 2011 seems like it would be a good product for you to use. Word of course is excellent, as is Excel. And as I mentioned above, Outlook "behaves" nicely with Eudora.

Again, thank you. The comment on your user name was just a personal observation, not a misunderstanding. Honest one and hone stone each spoke to me.
I, too, have found in age a general mellowing, though when I'm tired my inner curmudgeon asserts himself.

For me, these machines are labor-saving tools. I find that, as with my chisels and gouges, with long use they become familiar and, paradoxically perhaps, I can ignore their function as long as I maintain them in good condition. I have the 2011 suite of applications, but for reasons of prejudice and comfort, I find Pages '09 the most useful word processor for me at this time. The newer Pages eliminated or changed some functions (I don't even remember which ones), so I went back to the '09 version. I'll look at Outlook, though I've gotten fairly conversant with Thunderbird at this point.

I have been reminded that my dismay with the young folks in society (fifty and under, by me) is similar to that felt by my aging parents' contemporaries with me when I was eighteen, twenty-five and forty. I don't believe it's comparable, but how would I know . . . . I suppose they don't have to learn all that crap because they'll have a chip implant soon. Ah, well . . . .

Reaction score
Again, thank you. The comment on your user name was just a personal observation, not a misunderstanding. Honest one and hone stone each spoke to me.
I, too, have found in age a general mellowing, though when I'm tired my inner curmudgeon asserts himself.

For me, these machines are labor-saving tools. I find that, as with my chisels and gouges, with long use they become familiar and, paradoxically perhaps, I can ignore their function as long as I maintain them in good condition. I have the 2011 suite of applications, but for reasons of prejudice and comfort, I find Pages '09 the most useful word processor for me at this time. The newer Pages eliminated or changed some functions (I don't even remember which ones), so I went back to the '09 version. I'll look at Outlook, though I've gotten fairly conversant with Thunderbird at this point.

I have been reminded that my dismay with the young folks in society (fifty and under, by me) is similar to that felt by my aging parents' contemporaries with me when I was eighteen, twenty-five and forty. I don't believe it's comparable, but how would I know . . . . I suppose they don't have to learn all that crap because they'll have a chip implant soon. Ah, well . . . .

For my user name, maybe you need to get your hearing checked! Again, it is honestone. I have never misstated anyone's user name here (and also on most other forums I participate in), as it would show a sign of disrespect.

As for "curmudgeon", I am not a bad tempered person. As I stated above, I maintain a positive, happy attitude. Trust me, that is way less stressful than being a "curmudgeon", and especially as all of us age.

Regarding younger folks and societies, when I was teaching, I wish I had stated to the students the excellent statement made by Sidney Poitier to Richard Gere in the movie "The Jackal": "Go along, and we'll get along". That is so, so accurate. But, so many folks (especially in the younger generation) think they are entitled to things, and don't want to work for it. That is a sore state of affairs!

Reaction score
For my user name, maybe you need to get your hearing checked! Again, it is honestone. I have never misstated anyone's user name here (and also on most other forums I participate in), as it would show a sign of disrespect.

As for "curmudgeon", I am not a bad tempered person. As I stated above, I maintain a positive, happy attitude. Trust me, that is way less stressful than being a "curmudgeon", and especially as all of us age.

Regarding younger folks and societies, when I was teaching, I wish I had stated to the students the excellent statement made by Sidney Poitier to Richard Gere in the movie "The Jackal": "Go along, and we'll get along". That is so, so accurate. But, so many folks (especially in the younger generation) think they are entitled to things, and don't want to work for it. That is a sore state of affairs!

I read and understand what I read and understand. It is neither an interpretation of what was spoken, nor an attempt to change anything when I comment on an insight I might gain therefrom. Please forgive any disrespect inferred. The opposite is the case. I respect you, your time and your help.
cgc

Reaction score
I read and understand what I read and understand. It is neither an interpretation of what was spoken, nor an attempt to change anything when I comment on an insight I might gain therefrom. Please forgive any disrespect inferred. The opposite is the case. I respect you, your time and your help.
cgc

I corrected you above about my user name, but then you came back with "Honest one and hone stone each spoke to me.". So, even after I told you what my user name was (rather directly), and how it needs to be stated, you come back with that! So, besides having difficulty hearing, you have difficulty reading. You really need to straighten out!

Remember, "Go along, and we'll get along". Can you understand that accurate statement/concept?

Reaction score
I recognize your need to be understood the way you mean to be understood. I mean no offense, and take none at your frequent criticism of my intelligence and my perception. I fancy I hear another phrase, "My way or the highway."

Reaction score
I recognize your need to be understood the way you mean to be understood. I mean no offense, and take none at your frequent criticism of my intelligence and my perception. I fancy I hear another phrase, "My way or the highway."

No, it's as simple as "Go along, and we'll get along". But, you are having difficulty understanding such a simple, yet accurate concept.

Oh well, I understand your limitations. Such is life, and I have other things to concentrate on.

Ask a Question