Verify Disk not found

Reaction score
Hi,
My mac is really slow and won't even turn itself off. I left it to turn itself off for 20 minutes, and nothing happened. There's been a while since i verified the disk and repaired it. So I went to find it, and now it's gone. I go to utility, I click on Disk Utility and there is a whole new window that pops up.
Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 14.41.53.png
And this is what comes up. Is there something with the latest update that has removed it? Or has the verify disk thing been moved?

Thanks for any help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, Apple removed the repair disk permissions functionality from Disk Utility in El Capitan. However, you can still verify/repair a disk using the First Aid option.

Let us know if that corrects your issue,

C

Reaction score
What Cory said is (as usual) accurate. For Repairing Permissions, you can download the excellent freeware program Onyx, and use it to perform that function. You can get it from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Make sure you download the first version on that list, V3.1.3. I run Onyx on both of my Macs (I am also using the latest version of Rl Capitan, V 10.11.2), and as always, it works flawlessly. It cal also perform a number of other useful tasks.

Reaction score
I've testet Onyx, but it didn't fix anything. I still have to shut my mac down with the power button, I guess it's slightly less slow, but not very much. I've tried the first aid option, but that only screwed up my speakers.

Reaction score
How many of Onyx's functions did you run?

Also, there is the possibility that you need a more robust disk maintenance/repair program than Disk Utility. Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro are two such worthy programs.

Reaction score
When I type or open new tabs in the internet it slows down. Even when the internet is really good. I ran the cleaning option, the first tab.

Reaction score
You should run all the maintenance tasks, especially repair permissions. IN fact, you should run Repair Permissions 3 times. And, except for Erase Disk, you should run all the cleaning tasks.

Ask a Question