SOLVED Various irritations: Dictionary, Ghost images, Download Icon.

Reaction score
My Mac is a 2017 MBA, OS 10.15.7

1: I wish to completely remove the embedded Apple Dictionary/Thesarus. I intend to replace it with the App WordWeb Pro.
What are the consequences of deleting the embedded app and could you advise the best way to do it ?

2: Previously, I downloaded “Magnet” from the App Store and months later, deleted it. The icon still shows in Launchpad but it does not appear in Downloads. The App Store says it is “Open” but it there is nothing there.
How do I delete the “ghost” image from Launchpad ?

3: The Download icon in the Menu Bar has gone missing. To test, I downloaded a clock app from the App Store. I noticed the Launchpad toggled and the clock icon now shows on the Launchpad screen. But I cannot see and other recognition that the download took place.
Is this due to my recent OS upgrade from 10.15.6 to 15.7, two days ago ?

Appreciate your help, thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

1. There isn't any way to remove built-in components of macOS or default applications, since they are part of the system. If you find a way, it could make macOS unstable or unusable. You should be able to use WordWeb Pro alongside the Dictionary application.

2. You should be able to click and hold on the icon in LaunchPad and the icons will start to shake. You can then click the x in the upper left of the Magnet icon to delete it. If that doesn't work, you could reinstall it from the App Store, then use AppCleaner to remove it and its associated files.

3. Where were you seeing the download icon in the menu bar? When you download apps from the App Store, they are actually directly installed and you will not have a file in your Download folder.

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

1. There isn't any way to remove built-in components of macOS or default applications, since they are part of the system. If you find a way, it could make macOS unstable or unusable. You should be able to use WordWeb Pro alongside the Dictionary application.

2. You should be able to click and hold on the icon in LaunchPad and the icons will start to shake. You can then click the x in the upper left of the Magnet icon to delete it. If that doesn't work, you could reinstall it from the App Store, then use AppCleaner to remove it and its associated files.

3. Where were you seeing the download icon in the menu bar? When you download apps from the App Store, they are actually directly installed and you will not have a file in your Download folder.

Hope that helps.

C
Hi Cory,
1: Understood.
2: Yes, ithe Magnet con shook/wobbled but no "X" appeared. Got onto Apple Support, icon and app now deleted.
3: The download arrow used to appear to the right of the Search Bar. All the these ongoing subtle changes to the OS really are annoying and frustrating. They occur without notice or advice.
But thank you for responding to my queries.

Ask a Question