Upgrading Mac Pro 1 1

Reaction score
I apologize if this isn't the right forum, it kinda hits on hardware and software. I have an old Mac Pro that I want to upgrade and was wondering if this is a good way to go. Most of the threads I read other places were a little confusing.

Disclaimer I will say that I want I am upgrading to Snow Leopard because I want to run the next higher level of ProTools and Logic Pro so I'm not interested in a whole new machine or something super expensive.

This is my current setup:

Processor 2 x 3 Ghz Dual Core
Memory 10 Gb DDR2 FB-DIMM
Hard Drive 1.5 TB and two 500 Gb
OS X 10.4.11

I want to upgrade the memory to 32 Gb, a few 1.5 Tb hard drives, Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and an external DVD drive because mine doesn't work. My graphics card crashed a few years ago so I actually already ugraded that.

Is there any need to upgrade the Processor at all? Or upgrade anything else?

Like I said, I don't need a ridiculously powerful machine, I only use it for music production that doesn't need a TON of computing power.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

From your description, it sounds like an original Mac Pro (MacPro1,1)? If so, the maximums are listed below:
Memory: 32 GB (Actual) 16 GB (Apple)
Hard Drives: 4 x 3.0 Gbps Serial ATA (SATA)
Maximum OS: Mac OS X 10.7.5

-There isn't an official Apple processor upgrade, and I wouldn't mess with that, as it can make your Mac Pro unstable. In addition, Pro Tools doesn't like upgraded processors, due to Avid's pretty strict qualified system standards.
-OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 will run, but can be harder to find, as can OS X Lion 10.7.5.
-What versions of Logic and Pro Tools are you currently running and trying to upgrade to? Do you already have copies?

C

Ask a Question