Unsleeping Beauty

Reaction score
Hello, Since downloading El Capitan my mac does not want to stay asleep..it remains napping for about a minute or so and then springs back to life. I have tried system preferences but to no avail...anyone have an idea about what is going on? Thank You!

Reaction score
From doing a google search, this seems to be an issue with quite a few folks. No fix was mentioned. Hopefully, the next update, OS 10.11.1 (in beta testing now, and actually came out in August) will fix the issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have seen this issue before, in many iterations of Mac OS X. Some things that can cause this:

-Connected USB devices that prevent sleep - especially speakers and device dongles
-When using an Ethernet connection for networking and leaving Wake for Ethernet access checked in the Energy Saver preferences
-Some third-party menulets in the menu bar - i.e. those that monitor system processes like fans, temps, etc. and cloud syncing services like Dropbox

This could be an issue with El Capitan itself, as honestone stated, so it will be interesting to see if it is corrected with a future maintenance release of OS X.

C

Reaction score
Cory, thank you for responding...we'll see what happens. We have our Mac in the living room so this issue is most likely a bigger one for us than to most folks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Is your Mac connected to your television via HDMI by any chance? Sometimes CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) can cause Macs to wake up intermittently, or prevent sleep.

C

Reaction score
Too much coffee? My Mac still does not like to rest..I was hoping that the last Capitan update might address this as this always awake behavior began when I updated to that OS. My thanks to honestone and Cory for their help, but what ever I try it just wants to be " part of the scene"....doesn't want to miss something I guess. It does sleep for 15 seconds and then wakes up again. And while I do appreciate it's " wanna be there for me" behavior, I wish it would just take a nap and let us (Me) rest. Any more idea's? Thanks! Oh, and anybody have any dealings with Pleasesleep for Mac? I saw this was a down load in the store and wondered if this might bring relief to my Sleepless in Seattle Mac.

Last edited:

Ask a Question