The "others"

Reaction score
Last week about a minute after waking up my imac it restarted itself and when it got to the login screen there is just an icon of a silhouette that reads "other".I am now unable to login.I'm running OS 10.3.9 on a 17" 1.8Ghz G5 imac.
Please can anyone help?

Reaction score
Try booting into "Safe" mode by holding down your "Shift" key after you here the startup chime. This some times takes awhile so give it some time.

If it starts and you can log in then restart and see if everything is ok.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip darock but unfortunately it didn't work.I get back to the login screen where the "Other" is still waiting for me.
I have also run disk repair which went ok but when i try verify or repair permissions i get this message.

"Disk utility has lost its connection with the disk management tool and cannot continue.Please quit and relaunch Disk Utility"

Is there anything else i can try?

I'll also just add that mine is the only account but it doesn't show up, just "Other".

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

boot from your original install CD or DVD and Run the Password Reset Utility, this will then give you access to the others account, then back up what you want.

Have you been watching to much "Lost" ?

Get the system back up and running then we ill see about changing the name back...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric

Thanks for your reply.I tried the password utility but when i click on the icon
of my harddrive the drop down menu turns light grey and reads "no available users"!?

Ric

Reaction score
Is your important stuff backed up ?

Either way I don't think you have much choice other than to run an "Archive and Install".

This will replace all the sysem files but 'should' (it normally does) keep your data files (pics movies etc) in place.

Pop the install disk back in and do the "Archive and Install".

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ric, i had a feeling that might be the end result.

Any ideas what's caused this to happen and what is the Other??

Just tried the archive and install got to the login screen and the Other is still there!!

Ask a Question