Wi-Fi connects to some sites but not others???

Reaction score
I'm using a macbook on my Wi-Fi network. Facebook will load (though the pictures won't, but I can message, comment, and video chat on FB), Bing will load, certain forums like this one will load, and The New Yorker will load. But Google, YouTube, Yahoo, Amazon, Skype, MSN Messenger, and a slew of other sites won't load.

This is across all my browsers: Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Chrome says the page took too long to respond and wouldn't load/timed out. Firefox just keeps trying to load the page. Safari says it wasn't able to securely connect to the websites. It's bizarre because I clearly have internet, and strong internet at that because I could video chat through Facebook. But the majority of sites won't load.

I took my computer to my friend's house and everything worked fine there.

I tried resetting the proxy settings in Firefox--that didn't work. I read something about certificates possibly being the problem? But the writer didn't give a fix to a possible certificate problem. Any ideas?

Also, my cell phone connects to the Wi-Fi and I can use Skype on there, so it seems like the problem has to be my macbook not the Wi-Fi, right?

Help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There could be a few reasons that you are experiencing this issue.

-Are you using custom DNS settings?
-Have you tried setting IPv6 to Link-local only in System Preferences... > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced... > TCP/IP?
-Does your network have a proxy server - i.e. school/work?
-Do you have any third-party Internet extensions/toolbars installed?
-Do you have any anti-virus or third-party apps such as MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?

C

Ask a Question