Techno-tard needs help with MS Office 2004 - please

Reaction score
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place -

yesterday, I got a pop up stating that there was an available update for my Office 2004 - I started to install it, but, for completely unrelated reasons, I had to restart my computer halfway through and abort that install.

After the restart, all of my Office apps are gone - I don't have Word, I don't have anything.

Of course I don't have the original install disk (a friend installed the software when he repaired my iBook)

so... what happened? Am I completely without Office? (Please don't tell me that, I'm a writer and I NEED Word like you wouldn't believe!) Any help would be really, really, really appreciated.

Oh, and if it's relevant, I'm on a G3 iBook, running OS 10.4

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

looks like you'll have to go and see your friend again, or 'buy' a copy !

When most updaters run they remove one version and replace with the newer version.

In the Finder use the Go menu in the menubar and select go to folder...

Then type in

/tmp

Then press return.

Have a look in that folder to see if the updater has 'moved' your old versions there...

Have you also had a look in the trash folder ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
nooooooooooooo!

Please don't tell me that!

I checked in the trash and in /tmp and there's no sign of it - please don't tell me that I'm that lame!

any idea where I can "buy" a copy cheap? I really only need Word :(

Reaction score
cheap and word or any ms software dont really go together in any shape or form
your options are as following
brand new ms office standard 399
ms office pro with vpc 499
or ms office stduent teachers edition 158 ( license is valid for normal consumers you dont have to be a student)

ms word is availble as a solo component but its just not worth it as its 250
your bette rof buying the techers eidtion
ms office x can be foudn some what cheap in the used channels on liek say ebay but they go fast

if you desperatley need word and word compatibility NOW
download abiword or neo office
both are freeware neo office has better word compatibility in my experience

Reaction score
added
or if you have a high speed conection go to microsoft.com and download the 250 mb demo version which wil work for a month
enough time to locate a new version

Reaction score
nooooooooooooo!

Please don't tell me that!

I checked in the trash and in /tmp and there's no sign of it - please don't tell me that I'm that lame!

any idea where I can "buy" a copy cheap? I really only need Word :(

:eek: I feel your pain! Try Neo Office (http://www.neooffice.org/). I am using it on my new Macbook Pro. I have just finished typing a doc and sending it to a PC user. She did not have any problem reading it. Looks and (for the most part) acts like MS Word. And...it's FREE!:D

Ask a Question