Symbols appearing as letters

Reaction score
Here's a very interesting problem to solve. And, I can only think that it would be caused by one of two things: Either it was the fact that I had added a new user and begun fast user switching OR it was the fact that I had subsequently removed the keyboard language icon from the top right of the screen (the one that controls all the keyboard-language settings) once I found out that there was a conflict bug between fast user switching and that icon. I only think this because it was after the restart I eventually chose to do to restore my normal colour and brightness settings (the reason being the bug I mentioned) that I saw these problems emerge. And before the restart the only major things (apart from normal web browsing) was the two things above.

Anyhow, onto the problem. Oh, but first, I should tell you the details of my system...well, it's the most recent version of the MacBook Pros and it is running Mac OS X 10.4.10. Now the problem is that, in some apps (so far I have only pinpointed firefox and parallels to be affected) and in some parts of the apps, the letters appear to be displayed by symbols. Now, through looking at how it works, the symbols do appear to be literally the words, as if I were to copy text that is displayed as the symbols into TextEdit, then it shows the original text. Also, it is not just a perculiar font because, when selecting the symbol that represents 'e' when I type it in the search bar (which comes up as a symbol) and it apparantly is a normal font 'e' according to Character Palette. Because it only happens in some areas of some apps, it probably is a very specific thing, so should be easy to solve (fingers crossed). Incidently, Safari isn't affected, and several other third-party apps seem to be unaffected, so it could be the formatting that the affected text uses, which could be why I type symbols in Firefox, but see the body text as normal.

Anyway, enough with the details, I'll now post a couple of screenshots of the affected programs, and see what you think of them.

Firefox with the Character Palette
Picture2.png

This is showing how a to z, then a space, then 1 to 0 look in the search area typed up. Also it shows how an RSS feed looks. And it also shows that a previously selected letter in the search area was in fact, a normal 'c'. (Incidentally, EVERY SINGLE bit of the firefox Prefences window is messed up with the symbols exept the window name "tabs") Oh, and possibly weirdest of all is the fact that the status bit at the bottom right is messed up with symbols too, which is strange.

Also, Firefox works on the other user space I created earlier, so it would appear to be a User problem as opposed to a computer problem.

Boot Camp
Picture3.png

It appears to me that the numbers have been affected slightly as they appear to be more bold now than usually.

Any help will be much appreciated

EDIT: Update: Well, it turns out an Apple app has been affected after all, iTunes. I'll post a pic showing the audiobooks page. Notice the fact that the selected area (such as Audiobooks or Podcasts) turns up normal, and it goes back to gobbledegook if I select another tab. Furthermore, notice how, entering the edit part of the Audiobook Name, it goes to normal again...it must have something to do with the format of the words. Also see how the names of the downloading podcasts show up as normal and the podcasts that are to be downloaded (and that have downloaded, incidently) show up as symbols, both within the same window. This is very odd.

Reaction score
the other two pics

Attachments

• Picture 4 (smaller).jpg
    Picture 4 (smaller).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 311
  • Picture 5 (smaller).jpg
    Picture 5 (smaller).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 288
Reaction score
Well, I have now fixed the problem. Shoulda just stuck to my guns and just trawled the forums, because a link from a link from a link from.......a forum gave me the answer, and anyone else with a similar problem, even vaguely similar, always try "Font Finagler". It worked perfectly :). Yay!

Ask a Question