SVG previews will not load

Reaction score
All my SVG preview/thumbnails have disappeared and will not display on either icon, list or column view. They also do not show if I select an individual svg file and Get Info. I get the “loading” icon, but the preview never loads. I use a lot of svg files at work and this functionality is vital for me. I can still open them, I just cannot see what they are unless I open them, which makes work very very difficult.

I have run Onyx and have restarted several times to no avail. I am using a 27” iMac with OS 10.11.2

I would be grateful for any help/suggestions. Thank you.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this:
  • In Finder hold down the Opt key & click on "Go" in the menu
  • Choose Library (hidden unless Opt is pressed)
  • Go to the Preferences folder
  • Move com.apple.finder.plist to your Desktop & rename it by simply removing the c from com.
  • Close the window
  • Click on  & choose "Force Quit ~> Finder~>Relaunch"
See if this fixes the issue ... if it does you can safely delete the plist from your Desktop.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If the problem is only affecting a specific folder:

• look at your folder’s “View Options” (finder ~> view~ > show view options)
  • then select “show icon preview."
  • Close the options window.

This problem could be due to a corruption in the “.DS_Store” file that contains these settings

Reaction score
Hi, Spawn_Dooley,

This happens to all svg files anywhere in the whole system. All other formats are OK, including eps files. But with svg file I cannot see a preview no matter what. It's as if the system cannot render it. But I can open the file on IllustratorCC and work on it. It's just the previews I cannot see, which makes it incredible difficult to work as I have to "guess" what the file may be - particularly tricky when working with hundreds of small icons! A real nightmare...

Reaction score
This is what happens if I try to view a preview:

Attachments

• svg_previews.png
    svg_previews.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 381

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Okay I understand the issue better now, but it's got me stumped! Has the pin-wheel always been present with these files or did it start up out of the blue?

Try this, in the Get Info window, where it says "Open With" change the app to Preview but don't click the 'Change All' button.
Reboot your Mac then go back to an svg file, bring up the Get Info window & change the Open With back to Adobe Illustrator then click the Change All button.

Fingers/toes x-d ...

Reaction score
Oh, Spawn_Dooley, The fingers & toes crossed gave me much hope that your latest suggestion would finally crack it. Alas, it was not be. Still not working.

The previews were working fine, until Monday, when I came back to work and turned my Mac back on to find that svg previews would no longer load. Restarted several times, run Onyx. Nothing. Was rather hopeful yesterday's OSX update would sort it. Still suffering...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Go to the App Store & download ToyViewer, it apparently can open svg files ... use it over Adobe Illustrator to see if using a different app can help ...

Reaction score
Downloaded ToyViewer and changed the Open As in Get Info but still not working. I had Gaplin installed which also didn't work. Can't tell you how grateful I am that you're "on the case"...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I take it you changed it back to Adobe Illustrator just to check the results too?

Have to say this has me really stumped, is there another user account on your mac you can test to see if the previews are rendered without the pinwheel ... have you let the pinwheel run unhindered to see if the preview is ever generated, even after a considerable time span?

Do you have all the latest updates via Software Update?

I'm running out of ideas marceloscience!

Might be useful to look in Console at the logs around the exact time that Finder is having this issue ...

Reaction score
Yes, back to Illustrator, and I keep everything updated (slightly obsessive about it!).

Have tried a guest account and the same issue is replicated there.

I have left it spinning for quite a while, but I'll try leaving it all day to see what happens.

I can't read/comprehend the logs, but I'll take a look to see if I can spot anything.

I really appreciate all your help and totally understand if you've exhausted your suggestions. Let me know if you think of anything, and I promise to let you know if it eventually gets resolved.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi Spawn_Dooley,

Just wanted to let you now that, following an update of Gapplin, which I installed this morning, all my SVG previews are now loading again. Phew! Can't tell you how relieved I am.

Thank you again for all your assistance.

All the best.

Ask a Question