Chapter thumbnail previews in iDVD 6.0.3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a switcher and have been using Macs for a little while now (a year or so), but having just picked myself up a Dual G5 Powermac I've now all but turned off my Windows box and the G5 is my main box, with my G4 Powerbook for Ableton Live performances. With the G5 now being my principal box, I've been getting into iLife 06, in particular encoding DVD projects using iDVD 6.

I do like the interface but at times I find it a little too constricting *waits for the first person to suggest getting DVD Studio Pro instead :p* and one such constriction is beginning to annoy me.

I've created several projects recently, all of which have several video files contained within them. I tell iDVD to create chapters every 5 minutes, using the only menu option to do this, and it does so dutifully.

However if I want to display thumbnails within the Scene Selection menus (again using the only menu option which does this) all I seem to get is either a black box or a transparent box where the video looped thumbnails should be being displayed, no video at all. This happens both if the theme natively displays thumbnails and with me tweaking one where it doesn't. The rendered DVD exhibits the same problem as well, as expected.

I've had one project complete successfully with all the thumbnail loops there as desired and can't for the life of me work out what's different about that particular project.

I've done some Googling and turned up nothing, and did a quick search on this forum for "iDVD 6 thumbnails" but nothing got returned.

Is this a common problem? Or is the GUI so just easy to use that I just cant see the forest for the trees? :rolleyes:

Cheers for any help or advice anyone has.

Ask a Question