Custom Modification to "Create Thumbnail Images" Action

Reaction score
Hello! I'm pretty new to the Automator Application but have found a potential use that could drastically improve a part of my job. Sometimes I have to make thumbnails from Quicktimes - hundreds of Quicktimes - and was hoping that the Create Thumbnail Images action would help. It seems that movie file types are not currently supported. Does anyone out there know know of or have written a custom script that would allow this?

Thank you kindly!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?

You could simply navigate to a folder containing those videos, press the Command-J key combo to open View Options, check Show icon preview, and click the Use as Defaults button. Any supported video will then have an icon with a preview of the video (usually the first frame). Others will only have the default application document or blank sheet icon.

If you want an actual script, you may try MacScripter, as they are very experienced with AppleScript/Automator.

C

Ask a Question