So how do you rename a disk?

Reaction score
I've never noticed this problem before, but suddenly I find my self unable to rename a backup APFS disk (Monterey 12.6.5). I select the disk icon and click on the name - no option to rename. I select the disk icon and press return - no option to rename.

Now, I have several backup disks, and for others, the name IS easily editable.

Rather strangely, and perhaps associated, I note that in Disk Utility, when I press "Info", the disks that I can change the name on are listed as "Writeable:Yes", and the disks I can't change the name on are listed as "Writeable:NO". The ones that are not "Writeable" have their disk names dimmed in Disk Utility. Um, I write on ALL of these disks ALL the time doing backups with SuperDuper. So what's the deal with this "Writable" business?

Now, what's also kinda weird is that different disk volumes on the SAME DRIVE may have different Writabilities. So Writeability is the property of a volume, not a disk drive.

In NO CASE in Disk Utility is the Rename pull-down (three dots in a circle) active. Under what circumstances should I expect to be able to use that option?

Reaction score
Hey, @Dlass!

As far as I know, renaming a disk should be straightforward, but it appears that the option is not available for some of your disks.
The "Writable" status in Disk Utility refers to the write permissions assigned to the disk or volume. It's strange that different volumes on the same drive have different writing abilities.

In general, the "Rename" option should be accessible by selecting the disk icon and pressing return or clicking on the name. If the option is not active for certain disks, there might be specific conditions or permissions associated with those volumes.

To troubleshoot, you can try verifying the permissions and ownership settings of the affected disks using the "Get Info" option. Additionally, make sure you have the necessary privileges to modify the disk names.

Hope this helps!

Ask a Question