smc/fan problem

Reaction score
i have two problems with my imac (2009), have had an issue with what i assume is a SMC problem for 4 years .
If for any reason i shut down my mac or there is a powercut , when i reboot it , it will not start unless it is left for at least 3 hours without power applied , sometimes it takes as much as 6 to 8 hrs before it will boot up. I simply never shut it down , i put it to sleep .
But now i have a second problem , i had a new SDD fitted a few months ago and the technician also added new "macs fan control" S/W , all was ok for a few weeks then there was an update to the mac and all of a sudden for around 10 days the fan didnt fire up at all , the mac still worked perfectly , then suddenly one day the fan started and it wouldnt stop it ran constantly for days , so i had to shut down imac to stop it and of course problem number 1 above meant i couldn't reboot for hours .
this process repeats itself once every week or so , as I type this the fan has been running for around 10hrs.
Am posting here asking for advice because the tech' who carried out the upgrades doesn't respond to any emails. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like part of the issue is a failing power supply. That would cause the delay in powering up.

-Did you mean you had an SSD installed?
-The fans could have run out of control if the tech didn't connect the temperature sensor properly on the SSD. That may be why they installed Macs Fan Control.

At this point, I would take it to an actual Apple Store and have them look at it. They can run a full hardware diagnostic, which could determine issues with the power supply and thermal sensors.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like part of the issue is a failing power supply. That would cause the delay in powering up.

-Did you mean you had an SSD installed?
-The fans could have run out of control if the tech didn't connect the temperature sensor properly on the SSD. That may be why they installed Macs Fan Control.

At this point, I would take it to an actual Apple Store and have them look at it. They can run a full hardware diagnostic, which could determine issues with the power supply and thermal sensors.

C
i am wondering whether apple would even look at it given that the SSD fitted was not an apple part ?
thanks for replying btw.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Apple should be willing to look at it, even though it may be Vintage and have been serviced by an Apple Authorized Service Provider. They can still run their hardware diagnostics and troubleshoot the power and fan issues. However, they won't be able to repair it if it is indeed Vintage.

-Which exact model iMac is it?

It may be worth a shot.

C

Reaction score
iMac 27"(mid2011)
2.7GHz Intel Core i5
the new SSD was an upgrade from 4g to 8g.
i think i have that right.

Reaction score
iMac 27"(mid2011)
2.7GHz Intel Core i5
the new SSD was an upgrade from 4g to 8g.
i think i have that right.

When you say "the new SSD was an upgrade from 4g to 8g", that would imply that the memory in the machine was upgraded from 4 gig to 8 gig. That would not be an "SSD upgrade".

Reaction score
When you say "the new SSD was an upgrade from 4g to 8g", that would imply that the memory in the machine was upgraded from 4 gig to 8 gig. That would not be an "SSD upgrade".
sorry i mislead you there i had a new SSD fitted and at the same time i had the memory upgraded .

Ask a Question