Security help needed

Reaction score
Hi. I hope we can get some real help here. We would greatly appreciate it. We have a MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 512MB memory, 60GB hard drive1, Combo drive with an AirPort Extreme Base Station running OSX. We need help with security. The setup is like this...

Please don't laugh. :) We have a PC running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 wired in to the LAN port of the AirPort Extreme Base Station. Then another ethernet cable goes from the Wan port of the base station in to our cable modem. We have the MacBook exclusively for wireless use. We are worried about security so much that when we want to do any purchases on the web or do banking we disconnect the base station and hook directly in to the cable modem. We recently ran "Shields UP" from Gibson Research and we got the following test results...

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — As detailed in the port report below, one or more of your system's ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a connection. It is generally possible to increase your system's security by hiding it from the probes of potentially hostile hackers. Please see the details presented by the specific port links below, as well as the various resources on this site, and in our extremely helpful and active user community.

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

Those "failures" happen on both the MacBook and PC when we have the AirPort Extreme in use. When we disable the AirPort Extreme and hook directly in to the cable modem we pass all tests with flying colors. How can configure our setup to pass all the tests when we are hooked in to the AirPort Extreme? I made some adjustments to settings in the AirPort Admin Utility and the MacBook could not get on the internet. I had to reset the AirPort Extreme and set up a new connection to get things back to the way they were. :) After getting things back to normal I went in to "Sharing/Firewall/Advanced" and selected "Enable Stealth Mode" but we still could not pass the Shields UP tests. In short, we greatly need some assistance to make our setup secure. :) I have read certain articles and we are still in the same situation so I hope someone here can help us. Thank you very much!

Ask a Question