Same Mac Pro in different countries?

Reaction score
Hello people,
thank you all for your time, I hope my question is not too stupid...
I have two identical Mac pro 2008, one is in Spain the other is in Canada. What pieces I have to interchange between them (bring with me) to have the same "computer" in each computer case? Now, I just interchanging the RAM memo and I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same with other components. Put them in, turn the computer on and have the same configuration, software, hardware... It might not be possible.
Thanks for the help.
Adolfo

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I wouldn't advise removing any internal parts, transporting them, then installing in another Mac. You would be exposing the parts to possible physical damage, static charge damage, etc.

You can make a clone of one of the hard drives to an external, transport it, then boot the other Mac Pro from it and have all of your applications and files.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory!
I'll try that, I thought it would be more tricky, I thought processor and memory should match or something like that. As you see, I have no much idea.
I'll copy all the files of the "Macintosh HD" on a new hard drive, bring it with me and substitute the one in the other computer and run it.
Your answer has help me a lot. Thanks again.
Adolfo

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory!
I'll try that, I thought it would be more tricky, I thought processor and memory should match or something like that. As you see, I have no much idea.
I'll copy all the files of the "Macintosh HD" on a new hard drive, bring it with me and substitute the one in the other computer and run it.
Your answer has help me a lot. Thanks again.
Adolfo

Adollo,

You do not just copy all the files. You need a program that makes a bootable backup/clone of everything on your Macintosh HD to an external drive. Time Machine does not do that. What you can use is the free version of SuperDuper! for making a bootable backup/clone. You can get it from here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13803/superduper

Don't worry about the $27.95 (unless you want to purchase it, which I would recommend). Just click the download "link" near the top of that page.

Reaction score
Thanks, honestone,
Tonight I was wondering, what if do I just move the main hard drive from one computer to the other? Too risky?
I travel with my other hard drives (internal 3.5 where I have all my files), I put them inside a lead bag to feel a bit more comfortable with the airports scans.
I'm answering myself already, why should I risk it? I'll just make a bootable backup/clone as you said.
Thanks again!
Adolfo

Reaction score
Adolfo,

After you do the SuperDuper! backup, when you get to your new location, do you want to "replace" everything on the "new country" Mac Pro, or just other software "pieces"? If you want to have bothy machines have exactly the same software (including the OS), then when you get to your new location, attach the external drive (containing the SuperDuper! bootable backup) to the Mac Pro, and then boot that Mac Pro from that SuperDuper! backup. From there, you would use Disk Utility (on that backup) to Erase, Format, and Partition the internal drive on the Mac Pro, then do a restore from the SuperDuper! backup to the internal drive. Once that's done, you should be able to boot the Mac Pro. The only other thing you will need to do (if it is applicable) is to configure your Network settings correctly, that is, in the "environment" where the Mac Pro is.

If instead you just want the applications to be the same (the OS would stay "as is"), then you would still attach the external drive. Boot your Mac Pro like normal, and then use Migration Assistant (inside the Utilities folder within your Applications Folder) to "migrate"/copy all your non-Apple stuff from the external disk.

Reaction score
Hi there!
well, I do not mind to erase everything on my MacPro of my second location, I only use this internal drive for OS and software, I have other internal hard drives where I have all my files. I use internal hard drives (3.5) to have my files and backups, I easily change it as I need it, I love that about MacPro.
So I can just delete it and copy on it the new files of the other hard drive. I understand that I have to do it through a SuperDuper back up, no directly.
I'll let you know, I'll do it at the end of the month. I might ask for local professional help.
I really appreciate your interest and help
Thanks
Adolfo

Reaction score
It works!
No problems at all.
I brought to my second location the hard drive with the back up made with SuperDuper and I started the computer from it. Quite easy.
I love it!
Thanks guys!
Adolfo

Ask a Question