Safari out of date

Reaction score
I have an iMac purchased in Mid 2011 currently running macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

I have encountered a message from some web sites that my version of Safari is out of date and would not open a page I was looking for. For expediency, I downloaded Chrome and use that on the sites that are giving me grief. I am noticing that more sites are giving that message. It appears that I have the latest Safari on the Sierra operating system and need to download a new operating system. What is the latest that is compatible with my hardware? I have a lot of passwords saved in Keychain Access. Will these be retained and automatically be available to the new version of Safari?

Reaction score
I have an iMac purchased in Mid 2011 currently running macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

I have encountered a message from some web sites that my version of Safari is out of date and would not open a page I was looking for. For expediency, I downloaded Chrome and use that on the sites that are giving me grief. I am noticing that more sites are giving that message. It appears that I have the latest Safari on the Sierra operating system and need to download a new operating system. What is the latest that is compatible with my hardware? I have a lot of passwords saved in Keychain Access. Will these be retained and automatically be available to the new version of Safari?
Your mid 2011 iMac (21.5- or 27-inch) can run macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65) maximum. Software Update in System Preferences should automatically offer this update.

If it somehow does not show up, you can get older system versions from here:

Reaction score
Your mid 2011 iMac (21.5- or 27-inch) can run macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65) maximum. Software Update in System Preferences should automatically offer this update.

If it somehow does not show up, you can get older system versions from here:

OK. I loaded macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 with no problems. However, I am still getting notices that the Safari browser is out of date. Is it possible to move up to a later OS? The web site that lists compatible hardware seem not to go back to my 2011 model.

Reaction score
OK. I loaded macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 with no problems. However, I am still getting notices that the Safari browser is out of date. Is it possible to move up to a later OS? The web site that lists compatible hardware seem not to go back to my 2011 model.
Your 2011 iMac is not rated to run anything higher that 10.13.6. I know some people talk about being able to install newer versions of macOS on their older Macs, but I have not tried it. I’m sure it will not be possible to download a newer installer from your iMac, but someone you know who has a newer Mac might be able to get the installer file for you, to try. You will probably need a hack in order to install the newer macOS.

However, your 10.13.6 installer should have installed the most current version of Safari when it was issued by Apple. You may want to try another browser, e.g. Chrome or Firefox. I personally prefer to use Safari Technology Preview, but there are indeed places where it can’t go. That’s why I have Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, and Tor Browser installed on mine. To make switching easier, go to your Safari settings, select Advanced, and turn on the checkbox for Show Develop menu in menu bar to activate the Develop menu in Safari where Open Page With will list the browsers available to you.

Reaction score
Your 2011 iMac is not rated to run anything higher that 10.13.6. I know some people talk about being able to install newer versions of macOS on their older Macs, but I have not tried it. I’m sure it will not be possible to download a newer installer from your iMac, but someone you know who has a newer Mac might be able to get the installer file for you, to try. You will probably need a hack in order to install the newer macOS.

However, your 10.13.6 installer should have installed the most current version of Safari when it was issued by Apple. You may want to try another browser, e.g. Chrome or Firefox. I personally prefer to use Safari Technology Preview, but there are indeed places where it can’t go. That’s why I have Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, and Tor Browser installed on mine. To make switching easier, go to your Safari settings, select Advanced, and turn on the checkbox for Show Develop menu in menu bar to activate the Develop menu in Safari where Open Page With will list the browsers available to you.
Tony, Thanks for your quick response. I sort of reached the same conclusion. I have downloaded Chrome and use that when necessary,
I was able to install a newer update to Safari and it helped some.

Ask a Question