Restarting issues

Reaction score
Hi, I am having problems with my 2011 MacBook Pro,
I was using it yesterday and it randomly shut down on me and I was able to restart it and log in, then a few minutes later it shut down again, but this time I couldn't log in after restarting it. I've tried multiple methods on other sites but nothing seems to work, every time it puts me in the grey login screen and asks for my password and after I type it in and hit enter it acts like it is going load and the loading bar loads out to 3/4 complete and then it automatically shuts itself down and restarts.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Reaction score
Sounds like the OS got possibly "corrupted". Need some more information:

1. Are you making backups to an external device?

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

3. What exact Mac OS are you running?

4. How are you making posts here? Do you have access to another Mac?

Reaction score
Honestone:

1. I have in the past but it has been awhile

2. I haven't, no.

3. Not sure of the exact but I know it is some version of sierra

4. I do not have access to another mac, I'm using my phone.

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately without any backups, and no disk maintenance, this is going to be a difficult and risky process. If you have a friend that has a Mac, then it could be "easier".

In any event, you could try and boot to the (hidden) Recovery HD. This link explains how to do that, and what you can do with it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Note the 4th choice on the menu, Disk Utility. That is the first thing you would run, to try and repair the disk. Again, though, I must stress that without a backup, there are risks in doing that.

Now, do you have anything critical on your machine? If so, then without a backup, there is not much else you can do.

Reaction score
Honestone

"Well, unfortunately without any backups, and no disk maintenance, this is going to be a difficult and risky process. If you have a friend that has a Mac, then it could be "easier".

I did think of a mac that I could use, but irregardless, I tried your reccomendation of that site

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
I utilized that link and the only thing that showed a slight response was the internet recovery, and that to, ended in a blank white screen.

I do not have anything I absolutely need, it's mainly just old school stuff.

Reaction score
So, you can't simply boot by holding down the Command and R keys, but instead only holding down the Command, Option, and R keys? I have a different (and way more efficient) way of doing a Recovery, and in fact, the Recovery HD partition for me is rather useless.

In any event, given that you don't need anything on your machine, try Command + R. If that works, select #4 from the menu, Disk Utility, and then have Disk Utility Erase and Format your internal drive. When that completes, select #2, Re-install macOS. What that will entail is downloading the latest version of the OS for your machine from Apple's servers, then doing a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of the Mac OS. When that completes, you can either go through the setup process right there, or re-boot your machine, and then go through the set up process.

Since the OS needs to be downloaded from Apple's servers, the process above will take some time, but you'll have a clean system at the end.

Reaction score
Honestone,

I tried the Command + R, but to no avail, all it did was act like it was loading and like it has been doing, it went to a white screen again. The command, option, and R key combination yielded the globe and asked for my wireless password and then acted like it was connecting, and once that was "loaded" it gave me the whit screen again

Reaction score
Well, that means there is definitely an issue with your internal drive. The only way to try and "fix" it now is to connect your Mac to another one, boot that other Mac, and then boot yours in Target Disk Mode. However, that connectivity requires certain ports on both Macs. Your problematic Mac has the necessary Firewire 800 port. What is the other Mac you were thinking about using? Need to know the exact model.

Even if both Macs get connected, and after booting your Mac in Target Disk Mode, that Mac's internal drive shows up on the "good" Mac's desktop, not sure if Disk Utility will be robust enough to fix the issues. Also, there is the possibility that internal drive is beyond repair. If you are handy with tools, you can open up your machine and replace the internal drive with a new one.

Reaction score
The other mac is a 2013 MacBook Pro 13", I'm assuming from what you've said earlier that I would need a double-ended FireWire cable?

If I cannot revive the old drive, I'm pretty handy with tools, so a replacement drive doesn't look daunting.

Reaction score
Your 2013 MacBook Pro 13" has a Thunderbolt port, so besides the double-ended Firewire 800 cable, you'll also need a Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter, which costs $29.00. Here is information about it:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

I have one, and have used it in the recent past with my Seagate External 1 TB drive and my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air machine. It worked as advertised

Also, just for your information, this link discusses Target Disk Mode:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/07/how-to-boot-a-mac-in-target-disk-mode/

Myself, I would first turn off both machines, then connect the two via the Firewire 800 cable and the Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter, then start the "good" Mac, and finally boot the "bad" Mac via the T key, as described in the link above.

As for the drive replacement, please confirm the exact 2011 MacBook Pro model that you have. I am trying to provide the link/links for you for such a project, and the exact Mac model you have is needed. Also, it looks like you could also install an SSD inside that Mac, and use the current internal drive in a nice, slim external case. That would definitely give you a speed boost, ie, satisfying "I have the need, the need for speed". You'll be definitely surprised and delighted with such a boost!

Reaction score
My MacBook is a 2011, with a 2.0GHz Core i7,
4GB PC3-10600 SODIMM, 16 GB memory. Is that enough information or do you need any additional info?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I need more details. Here is what I need:

1. Is it a 13" or 15" model? Also, is it a MacBook Pro? Your first post stated that, but the one above states just MacBook.

2. Is it an early 2011, or late 2011, model?

The best way to get the exact specs of your machine is to point your mouse at the Black Apple icon in the upper left hand corner, click on it, and then select "About This Mac ". The screen that appears next will show both the Mac OS version you are using, and the model name. For example, for my Mac I am making this post on, it says:

macOS Sierra
Version 10.12.3

Mac mini (Late 2012)

However, that might not be enough. So, there is one other thing you can get. On that screen which appears, click on "System Report". On the next screen you'll see an entry entitled "Model Identifier". For my Mac Mini, it says "Macmini6,2". So, I would need that for your machine.

Sorry to be somewhat "picky" about this, but the installation instructions I am seeing depend upon this detailed information.

In either case, you'll be able to install your existing HDD inside a nice, slim, inexpensive Orico external enclosure. I have 3 such enclosures, and they are nice, slim, and light.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. It is an MacBook Pro and a 15"

2. Its an early 2011

I am getting this information off of a serial number reference, as I cannot get my top bar containing the apple logo to appear at all

Reaction score
OK, that should be good enough. Here we go.

First, it looks like this is your Mac:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-15-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

Your internal hard drive is certainly not a speed demon, spinning at 5400 rpm. When I purchased my Mac MIni, it had a 1 TB slow 5400 rpm hard drive, but a few months later, I replaced it with a fast Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD, and was my "need for speed" definitely satisfied! Also, that 1 TB drive went inside a nice, slim Orico external enclosure which I have used for backups and storing stuff. It especially came in handy when we traveled, as I could hook it up to my 13" Mid 2013 MacBook Air and watch videos on those long flights.

Secondly, the USB ports on your Mac are USB 2.0, which is OK. Also, the SATA connection for the internal drive is 6.0 Gb/s SATA 3.0. That is about the fastest you can get.

Third, this link shows how to replace your internal hard drive with another one:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Hard+Drive+Replacement/5895

Those same instructions are valid for using an SSD instead.

Now, here is that Orico external enclosure I was talking about:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ATCH&Description=Orico+2189U3&N=-1&isNodeId=1

You can also get it from Amazon for the same price, but unless you have a Prime account, or order other items together, shipping will not be free.

I have 2 such enclosures, and they are really neat! Small, slim, and light, and my Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs fit inside perfectly. (Your internal drive, or a new HDD (needs to be a 2.5" model), will also fit inside).

Now, before opening up your Mac (per the instructions above), you'll need to purchase the HDD or SSD, install it inside an Orico external case, and then do the following:

1. Connect it to your Mac (you can use your "good" Mac for this, ie, your 2013 13" MacBook Pro).

2. Use Disk Utility to Erase, Format, and if necessary, Partition that HDD/SSD.

3. Do a clean. "virgin" installation of the Mac OS you want to use. The best way to do that is to first visit the App Store and download the latest version of whatever OS you want. If it's Sierra, that version would be 10.12.3. Just click on "Featured", and on the list to the right, you'll see macOS Sierra. If you want an earlier OS, if you have downloaded it before via the App Store, you should see it in your "Purchased" list. If not, maybe someone else could help you about getting it.

In any event, when you download that file, inside your Applications folder will be a file entitled "Install macOS Sierra". The first thing to do is to make a copy of it in another location on your hard drive (you'll also do this later after the installation onto your new HDD/SSD). The reason is that after you launch it from your Applications folder and the installation completes, that file disappears. Hence, it's a good idea to have another copy someplace else.

Now, to confirm, you stated that there is nothing critical on your current drive on the 2011 MacBook Pro that you need. You'll need to confirm that, as the rest of the instructions are based on that assumption.

Once the installation of the OS is done, for that extra copy of Sierra (you did remember to do that, right?), make a copy of it someplace on your new HDD/SSD.

By the way, when you do that installation, it will also automatically create the new, clean (hidden) Recovery HD partition.

Given that you did a clean, "virgin" installation of the OS, and that you are not getting anything from your current drive, you'll need to go through all the initial setup information for that drive and the OS.

Finally, once you complete that, shut off your Mac, remove the new HDD/SDD from the Orico enclosure, and follow the instructions above about replacing your internal hard drive on your 2011 MacBook Pro with the new HDD/SSD. Make sure you have the tools they state you need. And then install your old HDD inside the Orico case.

Boot up your Mac, connect the Orico enclosure to it, and then use Disk Utility to do whatever you want with the stuff on the old HDD. You could first have Disk Utility perform First Aid on that drive, and that should tell you how healthy the drive is. If it's still OK, then you can use Disk Utility to Erase and Format (and if necessary, Partition) the drive, and start to put stuff on it. In fact, you might want to consider using that drive for back up purposes.

The final thing is you need to decide the following:

1. Purchase a new HDD, or a new SSD.

2. How "big", in terms of gigabytes, a device you need.

3. What is your budget?

As for how "big", as I mentioned, that's going to depend on how much stuff you want to store on the internal drive. As it is, the installation of Sierra is going to take up some space, but not too much. However, as long as your old hard drive is healthy, you could store stuff on it (if you are going to use that drive for backup purposes, you will need to first partition it (I mentioned that above), with one of the partitions being for your backup. Once again, the amount of space you'll need for that is up to you. However, if you use Time Machine to make backups, you might need a larger capacity drive. There are a couple of other backup programs available that are excellent, and in fact the backup will take up MUCH less space).

I of course do not know where you are located, but here in the US, with Presidents' day coming soon, there will most likely be some good sales on a variety of stuff, including HDDs/SSDs. If you can provide more detailed information about whether you want to purchase a HDD or SSD, I (and probably others) can help you with that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I do live in the USA, but as for how big I need, you'd probably be a better judge than I. I use my for business but nothing that is too extreme. So a lot of what I do is work on the family farm. So in terms of size/capacity, and price could you reccomend anything? If it helps I do have a 3 TB hard drive that as I specified before I have used to store some things in the past, so I wouldn't think anything massive.

So probably not to much information for you to go off of...but that's what I have, any advice is appreciated greatly!

Reaction score
OK, my situation is different, and also I am continually doing disk cleanup on a daily basis, along with disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs (nothing "major" for the repairs), and backups, on a weekly basis. Thus, I tend to use both of my Macs as "lean and clean" machines. Most of the stuff I have is stored on an external drive (actually 2 of them,; two Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs, with 3 partitions each: two partitions for each of my SuperDuper! backups for my Macs, and a third one for storing miscellaneous "stuff"). I don't use Time Machine for my backups, as 1) I don't need to back up more than once a week, and 2) recovery (if needed) is MUCH easier using SuperDuper! bootable backups. Thus, I don't need, nor use, much space for each of my backups (sizes will be stated below). Finally, on those external drives, and on the miscellaneous "stuff" partition, almost 90% of what's there are photos, Movies, and TV series.

So, with that in mind, the internal drive (SSD in my case) does not have that much on it, and in fact, I could even get rid of some things. Regarding my Applications folder, I don't use much Apple software, just once in a while using Safari. Hence, I could get rid of Mail, Numbers, Pages, Time Machine, and Spotlight, as I use Office 2016 (has Outlook for my EMail, Word, and Excel), SuperDuper! for my backups, and EasyFind for my searches. The other important software I use is Quicken 2007 (along with the account containing all my transactions), Onyx, TechTool Pro, 1Password, VLC, Transmission, Google Chrome, Opera (not as much as Google Chrome), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Adobe Acrobat Pro, GrandPerspetive, VueScan, and AppCleaner (along with some others, but they take up very little space). I also have the latest Sierra OS file, "Install macos Sierra" (V10.12.3) there taking up about 5 gig of space, even though I have a copy of it in another location.

I also make the effort to manage my Downloads folder, just keeping some bare "minimum" stuff there (actually, I could move some of the items there to other locations on my SSD).

By the way, regarding Quicken, I do not use it to upload or download transactions from my bank (I keep a close tab on that stuff myself, for both of our banks), nor use it to pay bills (do it for free on line with Wells Fargo, one of our banks). That is one reason why Quicken 2007 works well for me.

And, I do not do any "cloud computing", and certainly do not store anything "in the cloud".

Within the Documents folder, I store some personal stuff. I also have two folders there entitled "Upgrades" and "Useful Software". The Upgrades folder contains upgrade files for Sierra, Quicken 2007, and TechTool Pro. The Useful Software folder contains all the original software for all the programs I mentioned above, along with upgrades (and some miscellaneous software). I do clean out those folders when needed. For example, if I download an update for SuperDuper!, I'll store it inside a folder there (which also has the original program), keep the prior upgrade file, and get rid of the "older" one.

Finally, I am retired, and except for doing my taxes, most of my computing activities are confined to checking EMails (a number of times during the day, when I am home), and cruising the internet. And for my MacBook Air, when we travel on long flights (or like the other day, when I was having our Camry serviced), I also use it to watch videos (TV series, or Movies).

So, with all that in mind, for my Mac MIni (the machine I am typing this on), it has a 256 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and I am only using about 80 gig. On the MacBook Air, it has a 251.5 Samsung 840 EVO SSD (I believe that is the model), and I am only using about 73 gig. Each of those sizes, as you can see, are easily enough for me. Also, by having that much free space, besides each machine running more smoothly, I can easily download large files without worrying about space.

For me to recommend the size for you, I would need similar details, and especially if you use any third party software like I do. Additionally, about your 3 TB drive, what is its age, and how much space is left on it? You can run Disk Utility to "look" at that drive's health, although if you are just storing "data" there, it should be OK. And of course, assuming it is healthy, you are going to have your current 500 gig internal drive as an external one.

Finally, would a SSD fit into your budget? For such devices, here are some "current" prices for various Samsung models and sizes:

Samsung 850 Pro: 256 gig: From $130 (excellent price at B&H Photo) to $180
512 gig: From $239 to $259

Samsung 850 EVO: 251 gig: All places about $100
500 gig: All places about $160

Last edited:
Reaction score
In terms of me using 3rd party software, 99% of what I use is VLC, Microsoft office, and quicken. In terms of the TB all I have stored on there is old time machine backups, music and videos and maybe some files.

I would say with those price they would fit into my budget, is there any huge difference between the EVO and the Pro that I would really notice?

Reaction score
Regarding the software you use, I suspect for Quicken your account (s) date is "within" the application's folder, and thus on the internal drive. What about Microsoft Office and VLC? Where are the files associated with those apps stored? As I suspect you are aware, video files (movies and TV series, in my case) take up a lot of space, and that is why I store them on my external SSDs.

As for the differences between the 850 Pro and 850 EVO models, these links have the information you need:

256 Gig Pro Versus 250 Gig EVO: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-256GB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-250GB/2385vs2977

512 Gig Pro Versus 500 Gig EVO: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-512GB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-500GB/3478vs3477

Reaction score
I just remembered something that is critical. You mentioned that you use Quicken and Microsoft Office (by the way, just out of curiosity, is that Office 2011, or 2016?). For any documents that are "connected" with those programs (and specifically for Quicken, your account file/files), where are they? If they are on your problematic drive, and you have no backup of them, then when you Erase and Format that drive via Step 2 above, they will be gone. Also, for those programs (and VLC), do you have the original installation files someplace else?

Reaction score
I have office 2011 but I have all the disks and installation materials that came with the computer initially. Everything document wise was sadly stored on the problem drive, but aren't needed.

Ask a Question