Religion???

Reaction score
Please don't be offended by this topic. I am curious as to what Religion/religious background everyone comes from? By no means will I or (hopefully) other people attack you for what religion you come from. I am a Christian, went to a CRC (Christian Reformed Church) School for elementary, middle, and high school. Now I attend a CRC college. I attend an Undenominational Church but with an RCA (Reformed Church of America) background. RCA is similar to CRC but less conservative than a CRC church. Are there any Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, Islamic, Jewish, Atheists, etc people out there who use this forum? I respect all religions and know that everyone has lots of opinions out there about religions plus their own. NO BASHING PLEASE. Let's keep this topic as an informative one.

Ric

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone would open this particular powder keg...

I was bought up C of E (Church of England), but I suppose you would call me non practising...as I don't go to Church.

I try and live a moral, helpfull life...and hope others do the same.

I personally just wish all religions could just get on, after all they are all meant to be 'religious', forgiving etc...I undertand that the main problems are the extremeists but you could then argue that if there were no religions, then there would be no extremeists...

Aren't most Wars fought over "religious issues" ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...it's funny how some times you write posts on the Internet and they don't (sound) read how you intended them...

Add a big disillusioned sigh at the end of my post above, to get my drift !

Everyone just needs to sink that Coca Cola song from the 70's...

;-)

Reaction score
Yeah, I know how you feel Ric!

Ric said:

Too bad there are not enough people in the world who don't have that mindset, religious or not.

Not all wars have religious roots, most do though. Some wars are hard to tell if they were started for religious reasons.

As I said, I am accepting of all religious views. I have no intention of bashing anyone period.

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone would open this particular powder keg...

I was bought up C of E (Church of England), but I suppose you would call me non practising...as I don't go to Church.

I personally just wish all religions could just get on, after all they are all meant to be 'religious', forgiving etc...I undertand that the main problems are the extremeists but you could then argue that if there were no religions, then there would be no extremeists...

Aren't most Wars fought over "religious issues" ?

regards

Ric

Couldn't agree with you more......I went through the usual round of sunday school etc when growing up (C of E), but non practicing now. Its up to ecah one of us as individuals to choose our own path

Reaction score
I'm of the non-practicing Christian variety... aside of one year at a Luthern school when I was 6 (for convenience purposes as it was a block from my house and my mom was pregnant) the only times in my life I've attended religious services of any kind were for weddings and funerals. While not a member of the church itself, I provide childcare during services for the younger children (up to 6 years old, then they are regulars in the Sunday school) at a local Episcopalian church, and also assist with the Sunday school when the younger children want to participate.
Growing up I had friends from all kinds of religious backgrounds, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, and Christian... with practices ranging from extremely strict to nonexistent. And I think that's how it should be... everyone should be free to practice (or not practice) the religion of their choice.

Reaction score
error error mellon mellon
out of cheese error please reboot universe and start again

im not religious
and i dont sacrifice a old 486 or 68k mac and hold the ripped out cpu aloft to appease the ancient computer gods

Reaction score
Now there's a thought our ever-so-helpful remotely located IT department hasn't thought up... Suggestions/input we've received from our IT department includes "wave a rubber chicken over it" (I've got one, it doesn't help), and "the building must have been built on an Indian burial ground," "The building must be mad at you for some reason," and "Mercury is in retrograde."
But a ritual sacrifice to the ancient computer gods... might be worth a try... I've got a beige G3 desktop with about 3 inches of dust on it at the office...

Reaction score
YES!!!! OMG, bluekat that is awesome!!! I have a friend who needs the grace of computer gods right now!

Reaction score
Now there's a thought our ever-so-helpful remotely located IT department hasn't thought up... Suggestions/input we've received from our IT department includes "wave a rubber chicken over it" (I've got one, it doesn't help), and "the building must have been built on an Indian burial ground," "The building must be mad at you for some reason," and "Mercury is in retrograde."
But a ritual sacrifice to the ancient computer gods... might be worth a try... I've got a beige G3 desktop with about 3 inches of dust on it at the office...

what about dancing circles around it decked in feathers and chanting C++ code ?

placing the bft back on the unit ( big fluffy teddy )

talking compasionatly to the computers because something might be emotionally bothering it you know ?

jupiter and saturn are in one line ! thats always it

venus is full in the sky today defiantley a bad sign computers dont like that

its mice in the system case they chewed through the wires and killed themselfs and the system honestly !

slapping your self and the computers with a herring and say ni ina very very loud voice

squeezinga rubber duckie calling it duckie and placing it on the monitor wil also help

and sorry the help desk cannot help you right now there is a piece of doughnut lodged under the shift key

did they ever bring those ones up ?

that beige G3 is looking shifty slay it !
tear open its beige husk and raise aloft the twitching G3 to the sky
the pc gods will be pleased

Reaction score
They're not creative enough to think of most of those...

But I think a ritual sacrifice of the G3 might be just the thing... we're moving next month and it should give us a clean slate with the computer gods... And that we're moving is the latest reason why the building is angry with us... the current building is kind of odd... it has some "special" features such as a wraparound balcony with wobbly railing and loose boards, stairs going up to the second floor where our offices are located that are slippery, shakey, and again have wobbly railings (my dog may actually be smarter than anyone as he flat out refuses to go up the stairs even), odd and entirely pointless steps to from one room to another on the same floor, and our favorite... a spot on the floor where if you walk over it the whole building shakes...

Reaction score
ROFL...the building shakes!!! That's great!!!

Bluekatt, I love your helpdesk quote!!! I CANNOT STAND HELPDEST PEOPLE!!!!!! I understand they have jobs to do, but AHHHHH!!! The only helpdesk people I can deal with is Apple Geniuses at the Genius Bar!

Reaction score
:eek:) We call it the "Mystery House" after the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California...

I especially hate the helpdesks/customer support that have been outsourced to other countries, where the people answering the phones read off a script, and if you ask a question that doesn't follow their scripted dialog they reread the last part of the script...

Reaction score
We have had the help desk just plain not answer the phone and later give the excuse "we were at the {insert holiday here} party...

Reaction score
yes sounds like the pc gods are angry
that beige G3 needs to be sacrificed for the good of everybody in the building lest it collapses

so am i to blame to turn a talk about religion in to a anti helpdesk tirade ?

Reaction score
HAHA!!! not at all bluekatt! I don't blame you at all for bringing it up! But we have the "Things that Annoy you" thread available for ranting. Looks like I have a new rant to post! As far as the computer gods go it could count as a religion, so why not have it here?

Reaction score
mostly because it was a joke
and nobody got my reboot universe remark sadly

i saw the rant thread i dont plan to rant
id be like victor meldrew complain complain complain

Reaction score
Well... We made out sacrifice by forcing our victim to jump off a cliff (we threw it off the balcony) and got a pretty good splatter... I don't know yet if the computer gods are appeased, but I know we all feel much better...
IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

Reaction score
it wil do its not as good as ripping out the cpu
but the sacrificial victem has snuffed it while being naughty in thyne sight and the holy hand grenade of antioch has not been used
the pc gods are wel pleased