Re-building a G4

Reaction score
I am a Video Artist and have producing small works on a PowerBook G4 (1.25 Ghz 512 MB DDR SDRAM) with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 video card.
Is it possible to "Re-Build" this wonderful machine to a higher performance for video production

Reaction score
No way!
A starter MacMini is way higher performance than a very old G4, and it has cool non-destructive video editing apps. Get yourself a tricked out iMac then you can have fun, making movies.

Reaction score
Well for starters your PB G4's 512 MB of RAM can be bumped up to 2 GB.

Thanks for that suggestion that would be a real boost to processing video. I don't want to buy a new machine as I am used to the metal keyboard, I also have a Elso screen for video work and use to laptop screen in addition to this.
Also, would you recommend upgrading the hard drive, will this improve the performance of the machine when working with Final Cut.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Would you recommend upgrading the hard drive, will this improve the performance of the machine when working with Final Cut.

Adding a larger capacity HD & upping the RAM is possible and you should notice a difference running a pro app like Final Cut ...

Read about RAM & HD upgrades for your PB G4 here

Ask a Question