Question about list view on mac dock download folder...

Reaction score
Hi,

I to am a little baffled as to why this issue persists, try this go to your applications folder and click disk utility then run repair permissions.
Once done exit disk utility and follow the right click instructions for your downloads folder.
Once set do not open the downloads folder but log out via the apple icon, wait a couple of minuets then log in again.
What is the result now?

Reaction score
My most recent downloads are at the top of the list, meaning I have to scroll to the top to select what's just been downloaded
Thats correct, not sure what problem your trying to solve. Lists sort from the top to the bottom.

Reaction score
Thanks old scribe ill give this a try and let you know the results.

Kaveman
I'm not sure what you don't understand. I'm speaking specifically about the list view of the download folder when viewing from the dock. With the most recent being at the top op the list it means you have to scroll up to the top every time something is downloaded.. The more you download the further you have to scroll every time... I can change the ascending/descending order of the download folder when viewing from finder. What I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to change the order of the list from the dock view

Reaction score
im running repair again right now... im a little confused as to what you mean when you say follow right click instructions for my downloads folder...
what do you what me to select from the right click menu?
and do you want me to right click on the dock folder or the folder from within finder?

Reaction score
Sorry this is why I was confused, there is no way to change that. That's the order it is.

Reaction score
Hi,

I do not know what I have done or strange setting I used, but my downloads folder defiantly runs oldest at top latest at bottom.
I double checked this by cleaning out the folder yesterday then downloading the Exploring Aperture PDF, then today I downloaded the Aperture Keyboard shot cuts PDF and as can be seen from my screen shot the last download it nearest the dock.

Kaveman
Sorry this is why I was confused, there is no way to change that. That's the order it is.
I am really baffled now as to why I was able to do this.:confused: and I know your knowledge of OS X is much greater than mine.

But hey this is how I want it so am happy.:) In truth I really can not remember if this Macbook came like it or I did something. :( but I did get it new in 2010 not second hand.

But if the odd stanrge thing did not happen it would be a duller world.:eek:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.08.04.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.08.04.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 343
  • Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.10.15.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-21 at 12.10.15.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 332
Reaction score
wow yes fan does it! not very fond of the fan view but oh well i guess you have to give up one to get the other.

Reaction score
of course if you action your downloads, file them elsewhere, delete them if not required, and keep the files in downloads to 1 or 2 then the sort order doesn't matter ;-)

Reaction score
what do you mean earn you say "action" my downloads? ... and to be honest i like them all being in one place... if its something i know i downloaded i know right where its at

Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to always have had my dock folders show via fan, so took it for granted you did. should have reread your post saying (list). But pleased you got there.

Action on downloads IE choose a folder location or create one other than the downloads folder, then you could choose arrange then date added to folder to give you the list order want.

Ask a Question