Question about list view on mac dock download folder...

Reaction score
Ok so ive set my download folder on my dock to be displayed in list view which is the view i prefer. My problem is the most recent downloads are at the top of the list. This is a little frustrating having to scroll to the top of the list everytime i download something... Is there any way to put the most recent downloads at the bottom of the list... which would place it right above the dock when you click the download folder..

thanks in advance
Nick

Reaction score
Hi Nick,

Try this open finder > home and open your downloads folder then click arrange, and from the drop down menu choose date created or date added.

Or just right click your downloads folder in the dock and do the same.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 11.34.04.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 11.34.04.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 383
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion but this not work. I had previously tried right clicking on the folder from the dock and trying that approach but had no luck.

I just tried doing it from the drop down menu in finder and that didnt work either

With either choice, date added or date created, the most recent download is displayed at the top of the list. They are being displayed in order, that isnt the problem. The problem is trying to change the ascending/descending order

Reaction score
Hello nt22,

What version of OS X are you running?

I'm running 10.8.3 Mountain Lion and I right-clicked on my download folder and selected arrange by date. And that worked for me. Now all my new downloads show up at the bottom of the list.

Reaction score
I'm running osx 10.8.2.. When I right click on my download folder from the dock sort by is date added, display as folder, view content as list.. My most recent downloads are at the top of the list, meaning I have to scroll to the top to select what's just been downloaded

My current version brings another question to mind. I've tried updates to 10.8.3 several time but every time I restart it still shows update as though it never installed. Any explanation on that would be appreciated as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 522
Reaction score
Hi nt22,

Ok, I might know your problem. Try right clicking on your downloads folder in the dock and currently you have display as: Folder selected. Try changing that to Stack and see what happens.

Let me know if that works for you.

After I hear back from you, I'll try to help you with your installation issue.

Cheers
Searay

Reaction score
no changing to stack view didnt work either... i had also previously tried that.

one other the i tried was as follows:
i opened downloads in finder and selected arrange by option to none.. this allowed me to click the date added column header and actually change the order from ascending to descending. i thought this was gonna fix it but no luck! it olny changes the sort order in finder view.

what i need is a way to change the ascending/descending order of the dock view

Reaction score
Hello again,

Yeah, I see what you want to do. It's just not working for you. Hmmm I wonder if updating to 10.8.3 would help that issue for you.

Let's try to tackle that problem. It sounds like the update doesn't want to "take" on your system. What kind of Mac are you using?

Reaction score
Ok cool. Thank you for the info.

Let's try this. Go into your applications folder. Inside the applications folder, you should find another folder called Utilities. Go inside Utilities and you'll be looking for a program called Disk Utility. Open it. In the left hand window area, make sure your hard drive is selected. It's probably called Macintosh HD unless you renamed it. At the top of the program, make sure you are in the First Aid tab. Now you're going to look for a button called Repair Disk Permissions. Click it and let it do its thing. Depending on how big your hard drive is and how much stuff you have on it, it could take a while. If it finds any errors, that white window will fill up with a bunch of weird things, don't worry about it. As soon as it is completed, restart your computer. Once you're back into your desktop, try updating to 10.8.3 and see if it works.

Let me know if it works or if you have any questions about these steps.

Cheers
Searay

Reaction score
It's doing its thing right now.. This is my first Mac, I got it back in January as a refurb, so it's still pretty fresh, not really a lot lot done to it other than updated it to mountain lion and install 8gb ram

Reaction score
Excellent! Let me know how it goes. I'll keep checking back into this thread for updates.

And congrats on your first Mac! Other than this little problem, I hope you're enjoying it.

Reaction score
it found several issues and fixed them... when it finished i did a quick restart then installed and restarted but unfortunately im still on 10.8.2 and it still says theres an update

... otherwise i completely love the mac, it is a wonderful refreshment after using windows for so long.

Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying your Mac! My story is similar to yours.

Hmmm, I'll have to do some research into your issue and get back to you. I'm confused why it won't update. Do you get any error messages at all?

Reaction score
nope no error message. it does its ting ask me to restart. when i click restart it went to a linen backdrop and said install update.. it restarted showed the little apple logo as usual but when it boots up it still has the badge on the app store.. after some time it will give me a notification saying there is an update. this last try made about 6 attempts

Reaction score
well the good news is im finally on 10.8.3!! woohoo lol still had an update pop up though but it was for safari and iPhoto so good news there...

bad news is my ascending/descending order is still backwards.. I've went through all the prior steps quickly but still no luck with that one:(

Ask a Question