Problem with multiple user accounts

Reaction score
I'm a new user here. Hello! I hope you can help me with a set-up question.

I have bought a new Macbook Pro (Retina, 15", running OS X 'El Capitan'). I already have an old Macbook Pro (late 2011, running OS X 10.7.5).

When I bought the machine a few days ago I set up a 'base' user account with admin, but at the time it wasn't convenient to copy over all my data from the old Macbook.

Yesterday I transferred all of the data and programs from the old machine to the new machine. I did this wirelessly using a shared wireless hub, which took about 3 1/2 hours. However, when it asked me for a new User Account Name I typed in something casual, thinking I'd be able to change it later. It's an annoying word (don't ask!) and not the name I want to greet me every time I use the computer!

I then realised this morning that I can't just change the name of the account, I have to create a NEW account, then delete the old one. I did this, in the process erasing all the imported data and leaving me once again with just the 'base' account. Or so I believed.

I was just about to start the process over again (creating a new account with a more sensible name and copying over the old data) when I decided to check the storage tab in 'About this Mac'. It says that the 250GB hard drive has almost 50GB used up already. 20GB of this is programs. Sure enough, when I checked Launchpad there were the programs I'd imported yesterday, still on the computer and accessible in the 'base' account. Also listed in the breakdown of what's on the hard drive is 2GB of photos, 2GB of audio. There ought not to be any photos or audio on the computer - I haven't imported any into the 'base' account.

My question is this: have I really deleted all the data that copied over when I deleted the mis-named user account? And if not, how do I do it?

Many thanks for reading.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Is the user data still on the older MBP?
-Did you use the same username on the new Mac that was on the older Mac?
-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of the old user data?

You could try creating a new admin user on the new MBP called test, delete all of the other accounts on the new MBP that you don't need or were previously migrated, then use Migration Assistant to migrate your old user from the MBP by unchecking everything except that user in the Select the Information to Transfer window.

Move your content to a new Mac

C

Ask a Question