porting mac osX to Dell 3000cn

Reaction score
Anyone know a workaround to port mac osX to Dell 3000cn printer wirelessly or otherwise? Using Linksys wireless. Dell claims only 3100 is compatable. Thanks!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

I haven't been able to track down a driver for it yet !

Do you already have the printer or are you thinking of buying it ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Well. I already have the 3000cn. I am a PC power user and admin of a SOHO network, surrounded by mega PC power users, and have had the Dell for > 1 yr. It is a great printer. Got it for under 300.00 with a coupon code.
My wife uses macs at her office, and just got a mac os X wireless notebook for the house, where she jumps onto my linksys wireless system no prob.
Since I am very new to macs, i don't know beans here. I installed the X11 interface on her notebook so that I could install OpenOffice 2.0, and that went well. (I hate microsoft, so OpenOffice was the only answer ). I encourage all os X users to try OpenOffice...why send money to uncle bill?? The GUI of OO is *identical* to MS Office suite, you'd swear you were in Word, Excel, etc.
I thought with X11 on board there could be a workaround to link to the Dell....or some other third party solution...
Thanks... dave

Reaction score
PS...OpenOffice, which is free, will open all Microsoft files such as Word, Excel, and MS will open all OO files...complete 2-way compatibility...but you prob know this

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for that...Open Office installed here ! ;-)

Is the printer shared via XP or is it an ethernet printer ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hope it is OK to post info from another forum, but I finally found how to connect to the Dell 3000cn!!!

Here is the page:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264592

Although there are several solutions given, the only one that made sense to me was this one:

"Here are the steps i took to get the color printing working on a Dell 3000cn:

1. download and install the hpijs drivers for MAC OS (http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/hpijs/)
2. download and install the ESP Ghostscript from the same location.
3. add an LPD printer and select the HP Color Laserjet 5500 foomatic/hpijs as your printermodel
4. print as long as your toner(s) have color ;-)

If you still have problems, take a look at http://www.mit.edu/~jik/3000cn/ which is where I found pointers to the above steps.

-- Eric."

Now, getting the correct IP for your wireless system can be tricky...be sure to get it from the utility on the Dell.

I followed the steps above to a T and it worked! :) One thing: I wasn't able to get the above driver to work: HP Color Laserjet 5500 foomatic/hpijs

a techie friend told me to try HP 4L (something)... it is in the pull down in the printer utility...he said that instruction set should work with about any Dell. That worked. She can't do color, but we are functional right now. PS she is a Tiger user, if that helps anyone. She doesn't use color much anyway. I am going to experiement with some other drivers. But right now it even prints web pages as they should appear.

FYI, when you print from OpenOffice, the printer will show up as 'generic'. do not worry...it will send the job to the Dell if you have followed all the above steps.

It is interesting to note that to get all this additional functionality you basically have to install a UNIX layer over the Mac OS.

So she is happy with her Mac and I am happy with XP...whatever...
hope this helps someone, dave

Ric said:
Hi there,

thanks for that...Open Office installed here ! ;-)

Is the printer shared via XP or is it an ethernet printer ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I tried the above steps, but it prints out only the first few characters of each line in jumbo font in grey, offset to the right by about half the page. I.E. doesn't work :(

So the latest version of the apps dont work with OSX 10.5.2 (i.e.:
footmatic-rip-2008-01-30.dmg
gplgs-8.6.1-ub.dmg
jpijs-2.7.10-UB.dmg.

Ive tried just about every driver and posted suggestion, but havent been able to get the mac to work with this printer (via ip).

Reaction score
Following these directions did exactly what was mentioned above. using the 5500 printer resulted in jumbo-sized, offset text. However, selecting the HP LaserJet 4L hpijs, 3.10.6.15 works fine in black & white. I haven't figured out how to do color yet, but at least I have a working b/w printer. That is a huge improvement! -BVE

Reaction score
As my thinking point of view High speeds are one of the better improvement of the Dell 3000cn, which offers up to 30 pages per minute for atramentous and white prints and 25 pages per minute for colour. These speeds may be bargain for beyond or added circuitous jobs, but the after-effects are still offered with an amazing acceleration that makes it simple to allotment the printer in a active plan accumulation or office. The automatic bifold affection is not as fast, but it does accomplish it simple to actualize double-sided documents, brochures, and presentations.

Ask a Question