photobooth....Not videoing?

Reaction score
hi.
i am new :)
and need help.

I got a lovely imac for christmas and remembering the fun me and my friend had on her macbook with the photobooth application went to have a play on mine.

I noticed a difference though. when she bougth hers her photo booth has the normal options..the warped options and the moving recordings thing...like the rollercoaster...she can take videos in her photobooth too.

but mine doesn't. i can't take videos with it...and don't have the extra options.

does anybody know why this is?

thanks for any help in advance.

-katie

Reaction score
I don't have a mac with an isight camera, but I don't think that PhotoBooth can record video at all. Is it possible your friend is using Quicktime Pro?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I think Leopard has this capability built into Photo Booth but I'm not using Leopard so I'd have to verify that.

Reaction score
hi yeah. i have leopard.
my friend has that too. and photobooth definatley records.
but mine doesnt.
maybe ishould ring apple care?
im just intrigued ha ha
x

Reaction score
The extra options may have to be enabled to view from the options. Go to the photobooth options and see what you can find.

Reaction score
I only said it because someone else had this problem and when I went to see, the option for the extras was not viewable, and I had to either drag the photo-booth window at the bottom to view them or enable them - I can't remember.

Have you tried locating the preference list (.plist) file for photobooth and trashing that? Also you could try repairing permissions.

Try creating a new user (giving admin privilidges) and log into the new user account - does photo effects show now?

Reaction score
I only said it because someone else had this problem and when I went to see, the option for the extras was not viewable, and I had to either drag the photo-booth window at the bottom to view them or enable them - I can't remember.

Have you tried locating the preference list (.plist) file for photobooth and trashing that? Also you could try repairing permissions.

Try creating a new user (giving admin privilidges) and log into the new user account - does photo effects show now?

hi yep.
i can't drag the photo booth window out....and i created a new user.
I can get the photo effects...i just can't record videos in photo booth.

but as soon as my friend turned her mac on and opened photobooth she had the option to record ..and i can't.

it's annoying me hy i don't have the option to do that.

Reaction score
the only thing i can think of...is that i have an older version of photobooth instllaed for some reaosn....the version when mac didnt have isight?
or something. i don't know.
:/

Reaction score
What is your mac, what is the processor speed, is it intel or power PC? If you have isight, then it can't be an older version because photo booth came out when isight became built in!

Have you tried software update from the apple menu? Did you trash the prefs file? It sounds to me that the video plug in for photo booth is either corrupt or missing.

I would delete the preference file and repair permissions, run software update, then repair permissions again.

If that doesn't work, then ring Apple.

Reaction score
What is your mac, what is the processor speed, is it intel or power PC? If you have isight, then it can't be an older version because photo booth came out when isight became built in!

Have you tried software update from the apple menu? Did you trash the prefs file? It sounds to me that the video plug in for photo booth is either corrupt or missing.

I would delete the preference file and repair permissions, run software update, then repair permissions again.

If that doesn't work, then ring Apple.

hi, thanks.
:)

i don't know how to trash the prefs...or repair permissions
but i'll have a look.

urrrm
about this mac tells me its 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
and i din't know the thing about the isight.
:confused:

Reaction score
i did have an older version!!!!!

its because my stupid mac didnt come pre-installed with Leopard like it said they do...and it said NOWHERE that i had to install it.
so, i found the cd and installed leopard...so now i can record on photobooth and all that extra stuff.

and i've got all the updates etc etc

so im happy. i cant belive i never thought to check that it was running on leopard...becuase it was infact tiger.

thanks everyone for your input
haha

x

Reaction score
You did say you were running Leopard.

If you had said you were running Tiger, we could have told you immediately LOL

You didn't really have an old version of iPhoto as the video functionality in iphoto is a part of Leopard, so, the video plug in was missing as suggested, hence your problem ;)

Reaction score
You did say you were running Leopard.

If you had said you were running Tiger, we could have told you immediately LOL

You didn't really have an old version of iPhoto as the video functionality in iphoto is a part of Leopard, so, the video plug in was missing as suggested, hence your problem ;)

i know. i just automatically presumed it was on leopard because they tell you it comes pre installed.
how was i meant to know...im clearly not the expert haha

i didnt have old photobooth no...but i had an old version (tiger)

im glad its sorted.
:)

Ask a Question