Pages document has missing fonts

Reaction score
When I open up a pages document that was created by Microsoft Word, I get a message saying "This Document has Missing Fonts". On my M1 Mac, I get this window when I try to resolve it:
View attachment 4437
I have no idea which part of my document is Oxygen or Roboto, nor what fonts I should replace them with.
My wife's older Mac gives *this* message with the same document:
Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 10.38.46 AM.png

How should I go about getting these documents cleaned up?

Reaction score
When I open up a pages document that was created by Microsoft Word, I get a message saying "This Document has Missing Fonts". On my M1 Mac, I get this window when I try to resolve it:
View attachment 4437
I have no idea which part of my document is Oxygen or Roboto, nor what fonts I should replace them with.
My wife's older Mac gives *this* message with the same document:
BothView attachment 4438

How should I go about getting these documents cleaned up?
You need to obtain these missing fonts and install them in your system.

I believe Roboto is a Google font. Do a search and you may be able to download it.

Oxygen is both from Google and Adobe. Whether or not they are identical/interchangeable is not certain. You can try to download the Google version first. The Adobe version is probably not free, except if you have Creative Cloud.

Once you have the fonts downloaded, install them using Font Book.app. They will be placed in the /Users/[you]/Library/Fonts folder. Now try opening the Pages document again.

Reaction score
Thanks. I googled those fonts, found https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/oxygen#fonts-section and https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/roboto activated them then tested. Still missing. Rebooted. Still missing.

I scrolled down in the replacement menu and selected "oxygen" and "Roboto" and saw a few options. I have no idea what part of my document had those, so I don't know whether I'm replacing "regular" or "light" or whatever:

View attachment 4439

I selected Regular and it filled in helvetica. I suspect that's not the way it should work. What am I missing here?

Reaction score
Thanks. I googled those fonts, found https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/oxygen#fonts-section and https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/roboto activated them then tested. Still missing. Rebooted. Still missing.

I scrolled down in the replacement menu and selected "oxygen" and "Roboto" and saw a few options. I have no idea what part of my document had those, so I don't know whether I'm replacing "regular" or "light" or whatever:

View attachment 4439

I selected Regular and it filled in helvetica. I suspect that's not the way it should work. What am I missing here?
I don’t work with Pages all that much… in reality, hardly. I suggest first creating a Pages document from scratch. Add some text and assign the two fonts in question, or maybe more—italic/oblique, bold, bold italic/oblique, etc.

You may want to do the some in MS Word and try a parallel experiment with the original document. Your initial description is not clear to me. I interpret it as the original document was created in Word and somehow exported to Pages? Do you have the original MS Word document? I have never done that myself—creating a Word document and then opening in Pages…

I might try the process myself when I get the time. Right now I’m doing housekeeping on my Macs to prepare for the coming week.

Reaction score
I have a lot of Word & Excel documents. I used to have office for Mac until it failed with an upgrade a couple of years ago, then I subscribed to Office, but I'm tired of the $99 per year. My wife doesn't need Office at all, if I can copy the documents she needs into Pages. I need it for some sharing and at least one spreadsheet with macros. So I'm not familiar with Pages & Numbers. Apparently, I needed to convert a bunch of fonts to themselves (ariel to ariel) by selecting them in the drop down menu. Ugh what a pain. And the two fonts that it didn't find converted to other stuff. That got rid of the problem for this document. But I have to do that for every document I want to convert!!!

Reaction score
I have a lot of Word & Excel documents. I used to have office for Mac until it failed with an upgrade a couple of years ago, then I subscribed to Office, but I'm tired of the $99 per year. My wife doesn't need Office at all, if I can copy the documents she needs into Pages. I need it for some sharing and at least one spreadsheet with macros. So I'm not familiar with Pages & Numbers. Apparently, I needed to convert a bunch of fonts to themselves (ariel to ariel) by selecting them in the drop down menu. Ugh what a pain. And the two fonts that it didn't find converted to other stuff. That got rid of the problem for this document. But I have to do that for every document I want to convert!!!
I can’t speak for Pages at all since I consider it one of the “junk” Apple apps, alongside Books, Music, among others.

Try one of the free office suites in place of Office. My favorite is Libre Office. It might give you better control over the Word document than Pages. Next time you get a Word document, it will help if you can ask for an accompanying PDF file. PDF files, if properly generated, will embed the fonts used in the source application. That’s what the P in PDF stands for, portable. It will, at the very least, show you what the Word file was intended to look like.

By the way, what is the final format that you wish to get? Pages documents are terribly difficult to convert to other formats, so unless you plan to be a Pages ace, I would suggest settling on another program or suite to manage your documents.

Reaction score
My wife needs to be able to read documents on her iPad. I need to be able to send Office documents to other people. And I have a couple of spreadsheets that use Visual Basic macros.

Ask a Question