Cannot open, share or download pages document from iPad or iCloud

Reaction score
Hi,

My girlfriend's sister is having some trouble where one specific pages document will not open and we cannot do anything with it (i.e. open, save as PDF, email as word file etc).

In iCloud you get the error "You need a newer version of pages to open this document".
On the iPad, error is "Document can't be opened".

She has pages version 1.7.2 on the iPad which is the latest version in the Apple Store.

I managed to get a pages file (or package) onto my PC to have a look at it and it is in the form of a folder called "name.pages-tef" and inside are the following:

yqcw.jpg

If I open Index.db with notepad I can see her notes but they're surrounded by copious amounts of nonsensical code. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't have immediate access to a mac unfortunately although that's something I wanted to try because I have a feeling it may work and there is a bug in iCloud that is causing the document to be incompatible with the iPad version of pages although I may be way off the mark; I'm very unfamiliar with Apple products.

Do you have a mac? I could email you the zip file with the document files in it but it's not a pages file anymore because as soon as it went into Windows it just became a folder with the pictured files in it so I don't know if it'd work when going back into Mac (again, I'm very unfamiliar with IOS).

Reaction score
Oh and as for what I'm trying to do... to get the file working on the iPad in Pages would be great but even just being able to save it as PDF or word and have it on a PC somewhere would be good.

Reaction score
Hi,

My girlfriend's sister is having some trouble where one specific pages document will not open and we cannot do anything with it (i.e. open, save as PDF, email as word file etc).
Can she open the original file on her Mac?

Just ask her to upload it to mediaFire, but make sure she exports to desktop first and changes the files name.

Reaction score
Hi,

I sent the file to Kaveman and it appears that the index.xml is missing which is causing the issue so not sure if there's a work around for that.

I've managed to trim down the index.db file in word from 13,000 pages of gobbledygook to around 300 pages that contain her notes, she'll just need to go through and reformat it all and add anything that's missing. A pain but better than losing them all I guess.

Ask a Question