OS 10.14.1 Released

Reaction score
From our previous conversations, I presume that I need to do a 'virgin' install of 10.14.1 since my copy of 10.14 appears to have been corrupted in some way. Do you agree?

Reaction score
Yes, that would be the case. Just make sure you follow the steps I stated in that other thread, and especially insure that you do a backup right before starting on the clean installation of OS 10.14.1, as you will need to first Erase and Format your internal drive.

Reaction score
Yes, that would be the case. Just make sure you follow the steps I stated in that other thread, and especially insure that you do a backup right before starting on the clean installation of OS 10.14.1, as you will need to first Erase and Format your internal drive.

I have not responded to this ongoing thread for reasons that should become apparent as I recount my experience(s) in performing the virgin installation of Mojave 10.14.1. I followed your instructions to the letter. After the installation I attempted to restore the various applications having great amounts of data pertinent to me. Somewhere in the process of using Time Machine, and the various other stored system images specific things were lost. I have no idea how or why, and the 'how and why' of it became less important than finding ways to recover what I had lost. The things I lost in the process were:

1) All Thunderbird saved emails both sent and received, all folders containing that data,
2) My Personal Address Book (I did have the Mac OSx Address Book from which I'll have to
recreate the Personal Address Book),
3) All my Notes (Several lists I am not able to recover, and one had over 100 items),
4) The one log Stickie I created to keep from having to open OpenOffice,
5) All of my 1Password data (Note: I have been able to recover all of it, working with a very
knowledgable support rep.)

In summary, I have been working off and on for 9 days in attempting to piece things back together, and I thought a response to you would have generated more questions than it answered.

The rep from 1Password had me generate a Diagnostics Report from which he discovered that I had on my computer 10 copies of 1Password 7 and 3 copies of 1Password 3. Well, actually we're talking about "keychains". Anyway, he's leading me through the process of "cleaning up the mess", if you will.

I'm affixing no blame for this situation, especially toward you. It probably boils down to one of two things: either I missed some detail in the process of which I'm unaware (possibly), or my system was so fouled-up with so many problems that the items could not be recovered in that environment. As I indicated before, I haven't spent any time at all wondering what caused this. I have spent all my time in going through the various paths to try to find my original data and get back to a working machine.

That's as good an update as I can provide now (fried brain from looking at screen all day yesterday and, so far, all day today. If I am able to recover other things, I will keep you informed. Interestingly, some applications were intact after the installation, with all my data present.

More to come!

Reaction score
Appreciate the detailed, and informative, update. As I have stated numerous times before, I use SuperDuper! for my backups. When I recently obtained my new Samsung 860 EVO 500 gig SSD and installed it inside an external case, I connected it to my Mac Mini (via USB 3.0), and used Disk Utility to Erase and Format it. The Format is APS, and the Scheme is GUID Partition Map. I then downloaded and installed OS 10.14 (clean, fresh, "virgin" installation) onto that SSD. Finally, I "migrated"/copied needed "things" (that was offered as part of the Mojave installation (same as always)) from my latest SuperDuper! backup (done about 3 days prior). I then restarted my Mac Mini from that external SSD, and everything was fine. All my Thunderbird EMails "came over", as did all of my 1Password V7.2.1 data, and all my other files/folders, etc. (Except for Tech Tool Pro and the High Sierra version of Onyx, all my other applications are compatible with Mojave. Removed Tech Tool Pro after that installation, and obtained the Mojave version of Onyx).

When I upgraded to OS 10.14.1 "in place", everything remained the same. And earlier today, while in that Mojave "environment", I downloaded, installed, and ran the new Mojave version of Onyx. As expected, worked like a charm.

My backup "needs" are rather simple, as I just backup once a week. I don't keep any prior versions of my backups, and do not do any "in between" backups. For example, when I do my backups tomorrow, SuperDuper! will delete the prior one, and "replace" it with the new one. I of course have no experience with Time Machine backups, so really cannot help you with that "issue" (if there are issues).

Not sure if you saw the thread I recently posted about OS 10.14.2 being in beta testing, and maybe someone else can help you with Time Machine backups (especially if you are doing any "in between/update" "backups"). There are some folks on here who use both Time Machine, and either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. One thing you might try is the following:

1. Download the full OS 10.14.2 installer file from the App Store when it becomes available.

2. Download SuperDuper! from here:

https://shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

You can use it in demo mode, and it has full functionality.

3. Do "final" disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks.

4. Do a SuperDuper! backup to an external device. That will include the "install macOS Mojave" file from step 1, along with all your files. folders, settings, etc. from your Mojave OS 10.14.1 setup.

5. Restart your Mac from that SuperDuper! backup.

6. Use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format your internal drive.

7. Navigate to that (new, ie, V10.14.2) "install macOS Mojave" file, and do a clean, fresh installation of OS 10.14.2 onto your internal drive.

8. Finally, "migrate"/copy needed "things" from that SuperDuper! backup.

9. Restart your Mac.

All of that is just a suggestion, but it is based on my experience with my "flat", once a week SuperDuper! backups. And given that we both use Thunderbird and 1Password, my experiences could be helpful.

As far as your "keychain" issues with 1Password, I hope I am not having such issues. I think what I might try before I finally update to Mojave, V 10.14.2 (via a clean, fresh installation), is to do step 1, and steps 3 through 9 above, for my "test" external SSD. In fact, I just might do that even if the Mojave-compatible version of Tech Tool Pro is released then also. I just want to insure I do not have the 1Password issues you encountered.

I guess there is one other "caveat" to possibility consider. Given how much work you needed to do to finally get things working as you expect (yes, I realize you have some more to do, but hopefully that will be over soon), just hope your "final" OS 10.14.1 environment is "clean" enough, as that is what you will be copying/cloning with SuperDuper! in step 4 above.

Last edited:

Ask a Question