No detection of Harddsik

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I've got a problem:
My External Harddisk is not showing up in finder, and not even in the disk utility.
USB ports are tested with several other devices and work fine.
External Harddisk is working on another PC AND a Macbook early 2008, same OSX and intel Based.
My harddisk is NTFS formatted..
Harddisk is an external powered toshiba 3,5 " 320 GB of 1.5-2 years old. I cant find the exact modelnumber anymore...
Does anybody have an idea how I can get this to work?

thank you very much

Jochem

MBP Late 2008, 2,53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo /4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 / 320GB @7200/ OSX 10.5.5

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I've got a problem:
My External Harddisk is not showing up in finder, and not even in the disk utility.
USB ports are tested with several other devices and work fine.
External Harddisk is working on another PC AND a Macbook early 2008, same OSX and intel Based.
My harddisk is NTFS formatted..
Harddisk is an external powered toshiba 3,5 " 320 GB of 1.5-2 years old. I cant find the exact modelnumber anymore...
Does anybody have an idea how I can get this to work?

thank you very much

Jochem

MBP Late 2008, 2,53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo /4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 / 320GB @7200/ OSX 10.5.5
Hello, have you tried unplugging the external drive and trying again?

Reaction score
Yup I tried everything...
On another forum people are having the same problems, a lot with firewire ports too... But no solution yet...
ANY IDEAS? This cant be true on a new $ 2000+ laptop

Reaction score
Yup I tried everything...
On another forum people are having the same problems, a lot with firewire ports too... But no solution yet...
ANY IDEAS? This cant be true on a new $ 2000+ laptop

Have you tried plugging something else in the same firewire port to see if it works?

Reaction score
Actually I am working with USB2... I havent tried the FW port at all,.. But the USB ports work fine with camera/usb key.. didnt try another usb harddisk..

Reaction score
Actually I am working with USB2... I havent tried the FW port at all,.. But the USB ports work fine with camera/usb key.. didnt try another usb harddisk..

Oops, sorry, that threw me off when you mentioned "a lot with firewire ports too". I take it that when you "unplugged" the external drive you not only disconnected the usb cable from the Mac, you also turned off the external drive and unplugged it from it's power source as well. One more thing, have you repaired permissions on the Mac?

Reaction score
Oops, sorry, that threw me off when you mentioned "a lot with firewire ports too". I take it that when you "unplugged" the external drive you not only disconnected the usb cable from the Mac, you also turned off the external drive and unplugged it from it's power source as well. One more thing, have you repaired permissions on the Mac?

Yup I tried all kinds of unplugging and plugging in, power on and off, etc etc..
I just ran the repair permission tool in disk utility (thats what you mean right?, wasnt familiar with that before) unfortunately no changes...

Ask a Question