New Problem

Reaction score
My 2012 MacBook Pro has came up with a new problem. I sometimes do a lot of music processing in Garageband. Usually the process is somewhat uneventful but lately I have encountered a problem that stops the process cold. After processing music in garageband, I hit the 'share' to send it to iTunes and it goes through 'mix down', 'normalizing', and when it appears that it is almost done with 'converting', the blue candy stripe progress bar stays there, the whole process freezes at that point, and the mbp has to be powered off manually. I have down this process thousands of times and am not doing it any differently. I have repaired disc permissions many times. I have done the full scan with Onyx and Tech Tool Pro as well as any maintenance and clean up that is available. I have done all software updates. I have checked all preferences. I don't know where else to look. I need help.
OSX 10.8.5
iTunes 12.3.2.35
Garageband 6.0.5
arc

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

-How much free space is available on the hard drive?
-What is the duration of the audio file?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory
It is a 750g hard drive, 666g available. I don't know how many kb the file is. This particular song is 4 minutes and 45 seconds long, so it can't be very large.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That is plenty of space. A 4:45 song shouldn't be more than 5 to 40MB, depending on bit rate/sampling rate.

-Have you tried another file or one you have done before to see if the issue persists?
-What bit rate and sampling rate (or quality setting) are you using?
-Have you tried Export Song to Disk instead of Song to iTunes?

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried another file….same problem. AAC encoded, 128kbps, 8.4mb. I did successfully burn this song to a cd.
arc

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...that is strange behavior.

-How long did you let the "barber pole" go before force powering off?
-I have seen other reports of this with various versions of GarageBand/OS X after the release of iTunes 12.2. Many have said that iTunes 12.3.x fixed it, others said the newer GarageBand 10.1.0 fixed it.

Try this in iTunes:
iTunes > Preferences... > Advanced Preferences > uncheck Share iTunes Library XML wth other applications and click OK

C

Ask a Question