New drive format

Reaction score
I have an external backup using CCC. If I replace the drive in my rMBP mid 2102, when I replace the drive, what format do I use before I clone the High Sierra backup to the new drive?

Reaction score
Will the new drive inside your MBP be an SSD? If so, and via the High Sierra version of Disk Utility on the CCC backup, format the new SSD as APFS. If instead the new internal drive is a "standard" HD, then you would format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to add the type of drive. Yes, it will be a SSD.

Thank you for the reply.

Reaction score
Well that's kinda the thing. This is my first MacBook so I didn't really know what type of drives it used. I done some searching around at it seems the options are pretty slim.

I was looking at this one. Any recommendations for a SSD?

Reaction score
Thank you. I wasn't for sure but lets say I formatted the new drive to mac journaled, then cloned from the backup, what would have happened.

That's a really good question. I use SuperDuper!, which is very similar to Carbon Copy Cloner, and I have wondered that with a High Sierra backup, would "cloning back" the backup result in the SSD being formatted as APFS, given that one os cloning back High Sierra? I know that if you were to format the SSD as Mac OS Extended, then did a clean, fresh installation of High Sierra, and then "migrated"/copied stuff from your CCC backup, that second step (installation of High Sierra) would result in the SSD being reformatted as APFS. But I don't know what happens on a direct restore of every thing from either a SuperDuper! or CCC backup.

Note also that in the link Cory provided, it specifically states "APFS is optimized for solid-state drives (SSDs) and other all-flash storage devices".

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well that's kinda the thing. This is my first MacBook so I didn't really know what type of drives it used. I done some searching around at it seems the options are pretty slim.

I was looking at this one. Any recommendations for a SSD?

I've always preferred SSDs made by Samsung, and they have been reviewed. Perhaps you could look at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-...39&sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+internal+ssd+500gb

Also, OWC has been around for quite some time, and they make dependable products for the Mac line. You might look at this one:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDA12K480/

Reaction score
I was looking at that one but in the unanswered questions on there one of the questions was if it would work on the rMBP and this was the reply...

As of High Sierra apple now includes support for NVMe drives, even as a boot device, but you will need to get the Sintech 28-pin to m.2 adapter - and make sure you get the one that is for m.2 drives, not the other way around.

These type of drives are new to me. I have a MacMini and have done the upgrades to it but of course it uses the 2.5 drives.

Reaction score
For the Samsung one, here is what it says:

"Apple compatibility information not available
Sorry, our partfinder tool lacks information to recommend compatible components for Apple models. Please try the search bar at the top of this screen. We hope to support Apple soon."

Also, that link I gave for the OWC one is useless, as that model is no longer available. Here though is an updated one:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDAP12K480/

I'm not familiar with that High Sierra support for NVMe drives. Maybe this will help you:

https://www.computershopper.com/feature/2017-guide-the-best-pci-express-nvme-solid-state-drives

Unfortunately, from what I am reading, that Samsung one is "most likely" not compatible, mainly because of various connection "options". Maybe that MCE one you are looking is what would be best. Can you find any reviews on them?

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I did send an email to MCE confirming that the drive is compatible. I read something about these drives need to be compatible with High Sierra also for some reason. I'm still waiting for a reply and I can't seem to find any reviews on the drive either.

Edit: Reply from MCE
Yes, that is 100% accurate. This drive is designed for and compatible with all 15-inch mid-2012 MacBook Pros with Retina Display.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're welcome. Glad you got the compatibility issue resolved. Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Sure thing. I went ahead purchased the drive so I guess we'll see how it goes. I kinda hated to because of it not having any reviews.

Reaction score
A little update. I think I jumped the gun a bit with the MCE drive.

I did a little more research and this seems to be the cheaper option. Total was $176 and the MCE was $249.

This adaptor but found it cheaper on eBay
https://www.amazon.com/SATA-mSATA-MACBOOK-Retina-Adapter/dp/B00OQG630U

And the drive I purchased but found it cheaper on eBay
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-M5E500BW/dp/B00TGIVVKU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515431669&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Samsung+850+EVO+mSATA+Internal+SSD+(MZ-M5E1T0BW)

The MCE drive seems to have the same thing with using an adaptor and a mSATA drive.

I found a vid on youtube with this setup and it seems to work fine. I also feel a little better going with a Samsung drive.

Reaction score
Cool! Yeah, I have 3 Samsung SSDs: one, a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD inside my late 2012 Mac Mini, and two Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs that I use for external devices (each of them are enclosed in a nice, slim Orico enclosure). The 850 EVO "line" is actually quite well reviewed. You'll be happy with it.

You'll be "swept off your feet" with the dramatic increase in speed once you install it inside your MacBook Pro. Good luck!

PS: By the way, what are you going to do with the drive that is inside your MacBook Pro? (By the way, is it an SSD? I believe this is your Mac:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-i7-2.6-15-mid-2012-retina-display-specs.html)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I first put a Samsung 830 128GB in my late 2012 Mac Mini then replaced it with a 850 512GB EVO. It still runs perfect.

I bought the same enclosure, or same brand, as you that I'm going to put the 128 in. I did have both Samsungs in the Mini but 512 is enough since the rMBP will be the one I mainly use now.

It is an SSD. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I installed DriveDX and it says the health is 95%. According to Blackmagic the drive now gets around 300 read and 400 write. I'm hoping the Samsung will do a little better. The drive now is fast but just wanted a little more speed.

Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. The designation "Samsung 850 EVO 512GB" is actually not accurate. Samsung EVO drives are always a "little" less than the actual size stated (not so with the 850 Pro series). So in actuality, both the 850 EVO drive you installed inside your Mac Mini, and the one you are purchasing, are about 500 gig in size. I'll bet that if you do a "Get Info" on that 850 EVO drive inside your Mac Mini, you'll see the total size is closer to 500 gig (give or take a couple of gig). This anomaly is the same with laptops. My mid 2017 Mac Book Air is advertised as have a 256 gig inside, but in reality it is "only" 252 gig. However, I see that the one you are purchasing is designated as "Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB", which is accurate.

2. This "test" will show the differences between an 850 Pro 512GB and an 850 EVO 500GB:

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-512GB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-500GB/3478vs3477

3. Can you tell what the "brand" is of the SSD currently inside your Mac Book Pro? I know that is difficult to do. My prior mid 2013 Mac Book Air also has a 256 Gig SSD (actually more like 252 gig), and it was "possible" to tell that it was a "knock off' of the Samsung 840 EVO. But for my new Mac Book Air, I am finding it difficult to find out the actual brand of SSD it is.

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that to on the drive sizes.

I actually had the bottom off earlier to get a feel for things and took the SSD out. The brand on it says Samsung.

If I remember correctly when I put the drives in the Mini they didn't recognize them for me to be able to format them to be able to clone them from a backup. I think I had to put them in a enclosure to format them. Wonder if that will be the case with the replacement drive?

Ask a Question