Need OS X Server Serial Number for Mac Mini

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini Server with OS X Server. I needed to reformat my disk and reinstall the Server OS. The disk was reformatted ok. Now when reinstalling from the original disks it asks: " enter mac os x server serial number". I do not have the server serial number (I did not know that I should have written it down from the about box before reformatting). I have kept all items that were shipped with the computer but I cannot find the serial number. It is not on the disk sleeves or any documentation that I can find.

How do I find (or get a new) os x server serial number?

Reaction score
This is what I found out. Mac Servers have an OS Serial Number that should be on a slip of paper when you bought the computer. Non-servers do not have a serial number. This seems to be knowledge not commonly known since most sales/apple gurus were surprised that a serial number was required for installation (I assume they do not deal with Mac Server software often). The serial number is on a little slip of paper and is easy to lose - I apparently lost it. To get a new serial number, you call Apple customer support. But they will not give you a new serial number unless you have proof of purchase (ie a copy of the receipt). I lost that as well (a common theme here). Amazingly physical possession of the server is not proof enough. Luckily I went to where I purchased it, and they had a copy. But their store customer support could not give me a copy (company policy). I had to contact corporate customer support and after a week and 10 emails, I got the copy of my receipt. So the moral of the story is to save that little piece of paper with the serial number and save your receipt. If you have lost those, then in other posts on the web, they describe how to get the number from a running system. So before you reformat your disks, get the serial number from your running system and it will save you some grief.

Reaction score
I'm not in least surprised with this. If you loose your Serial Number then you have to show Proof of Purchase.

This is an industry standard, try and get yourself a free, Windows s/n or Adobe CS set.

I have over 40 S/ns in my DB from Apps I've purchased and these are well backed up.

This is one of the big things with the App Store, no more S/n hassle, buy and install.

Reaction score
I totally agree with you, and I too have my list of sacred serial numbers. What caught me off guard is that non-server mac software does not require a serial number. My prior mac mini did not, nor does my mac laptop. Most posts on the web do not mention one. And the serial number is easily to lose (in my opinion), being on a slip of paper in the "Everything Else" folder. Now if you run MS, unless this is your first computer, you know your life is tied to that serial number, and it is not as easy to lose since it is typically tattooed to your computer (depending on what computer you bought) or stuck to the casing of the MS software box, and it is required in all versions of the OS.
All this was totally my fault, but it would have been nice if Apple made the SN a little more obvious and clear since it is not required in non-server products.

Ask a Question