MS Office 2011 Locks up when saving.

Reaction score
I'm dealing with a Macbook Pro recently purchased in June (15" Retina, Solid State HDD) Lion OS, that has MS Office 2011 installed. The problem is that when a file is opened from a network share (smb) and edited, the user saves (or save as) the file and the progress bar gets to about 98% and Word or Powerpoint freezes. I'm assuming Excel does the same thing, but this is an intermittent problem that only seems to happen when a deadline is near. A force quit is not enough to kill the application, you have to open the terminal and kill the process there. Local files "seem" to edit and save ok. I've seen network errors fill the logs, however this doesn't explain what's going on, and it doesn't explain why Office is the only application having the problem. I've also seen time machine errors that state the user doesn't have permission to exclude applications from back ups. I doubt that one is valid in this case though. All patches are up to date. Any help or ideas on how to troubleshoot this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
Kaveman, is that an answer or are you having the same problem? I'm running OS X Snow Leopard and Office 2011, and I have no issues with editing or saving documents over a network share. I've not seen this before.

Reaction score
It's an answer, its a common problem and Microsoft recommend not editing documents over a network. They are not designed to do that. The fact that is "can" work does not mean its robust.

Ask a Question