Microsoft Office 2008--- please help to install

Reaction score
When I updated my laptop to el captain I had already microsoft Office 2008 installed but the update wiped it off from my computer and I am trying to reload it from the CD but I keep getting the message that there is nothing on the disk and can not go beyond that.
Please can anyone help and let me know what is the matter with it or how I can install M)2008 again.
Thanks

Reaction score
First of all, do you have any kind of backup?

Secondly, are you using "just" OS 10.11, or did you download and install OS 10.11.1?

Third, could not find any issues, via a google search, of Office 2008 and El Capitan compatibility (I use Office 2011, and there were some initial issues with Outlook 2011, but those were fixed). Make sure you have the latest Office 2008 version, V 12.3.6. You can get it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36897

Finally, not sure why you are having issues with the CD. Maybe someone else has knowledge about that issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you performed an erase & install instead of an upgrade if your applications are no longer there.

-Are your other applications still in the Applications folder after the El Capitan install?
-Are you installing from a genuine Microsoft Office install disc?
-What else does it say when it says "there is nothing on the disk"?

C

Reaction score
As usual, Cory makes some excellent points. Regarding things inside your Applications Folder, the thing you need to check is if there are still any third party applications there. The Apple apps would not matter, as they would be there anyway, just newer versions. Office 2008 would obviously be one of those third party apps.

Also, besides what Cory asked ("What else does it say when it says "there is nothing on the disk"?"), when you insert the Office 2008 CD into the DVD drive, does its icon appear on the desktop? If it does, when you double click it, what does it show?

Last edited:

Ask a Question