Merging partitions

Reaction score
Hi,
I own a Macbook Pro 2011 15' with a 512GB SSD. The drive is divided into two partitions. The system partition is running out of space so I need to merge them. These are the instructions I was given by a technician from an unauthorized Apple service shop:

1. Backup the data from the partition you're going to delete
2. Delete the non-system partition with disk utility
3. Add the unallocated space to the remaining partition
4. Copy back the previously backed up data

My questions are:
1. Are these instructions correct?
2. What should I watch out for?
3. Is copying the files from the unwanted partition to an external disk sufficient, or do I have to make a time machine backup? It would take sooo much time though...
And one additional stupid question:
4. If I succeed and want to copy the data back, where should I put it? I've never had a computer with a single partition...

By the way: I can't do a clean install because the laptop has a broken graphics card (who would've thought) and the EFI partition is modified so that it turns on without the card. I was told not to alter the system because apparently it may erase the changes made and cause the laptop to turn on with a black screen just like before the repair, when the Radeon broke down.

I'm from Poland so some parts may sound a bit awkward...
Thank you VERY MUCH for your attention and help in advance and I wish you good health during the Covid crisis!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of macOS?
-Did you partition the SSD, or could you be seeing the Containers that APFS sets up?
-I definitely suggest making a full Time Machine backup before doing anything.
-Not sure what you mean by "the EFI partition is modified so that it turns on without the card"? I guess you mean it is made to run the built-in Intel graphics instead of the ATI discrete graphics? I have never heard of modifying the EFI for that purpose.

Depending on why the partitions are there, and how they were created, will determine whether their advice is correct.

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory!
The Macbook runs Sierra. The partitioning was done by me manually (following bad advice...). The thing about EFI is what I was told by the technician, personally I'm not sure what it means - I was simply TOLD not to reinstall/upgrade the system or else it will basically fall apart. You're right, the laptop is made to run the Intel graphics exclusively, the ATI card doesn't even show up in system information/This Mac.
I'm attaching a couple of screenshots from the terminal, take a look. Meanwhile, I will set up the time machine backup and let it go for god knows how long :D

EDIT: My worry about the time machine is also that I won't be able to pick up the files from the deleted partition only, instead I would be forced to recover the whole snapshot... Also, please take a look at the question no. 4, I'm a serious newbie. Thank you so so much.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-18 o 22.31.17.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-18 o 22.31.17.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-18 o 22.35.11.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-18 o 22.35.11.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-18 o 22.54.51.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-18 o 22.54.51.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 128

Ask a Question