Merging PDF files in Preview

Reaction score
Hello,
Suppose I have two PDF files, each only 1 page for simplicity. How do I combine them to make a single 2-page PDF?
I'm using Preview 5.0.3 with OS 10.6.8 on an iMac.
Thanks for help!
Ch.S.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
One at a time, open the PDF documents that you want to combine in Preview.
Select each Preview window, then choose View ~> Thumbnails to open the Thumbnails pane.
Select the thumbnails of the pages you want to move. You can press the Shift key or the Command key while clicking each page thumbnail to select multiple pages.
Drag the thumbnails from one PDF window to the thumbnails pane of the other PDF window.
Move your pointer to where you want the pages to appear in the PDF.

Note: When dragging the thumbnail to the top or the bottom of the thumbnail pane, a divider line may appear. To ensure your pages are inserted into the current document, do not drag the thumbnail beyond the divider line.

Release your pointer to move the pages to the location you've selected.

Reaction score
One at a time, open the PDF documents that you want to combine in Preview.
Select each Preview window, then choose View ~> Thumbnails to open the Thumbnails pane.
Select the thumbnails of the pages you want to move. You can press the Shift key or the Command key while clicking each page thumbnail to select multiple pages.
Drag the thumbnails from one PDF window to the thumbnails pane of the other PDF window.
Move your pointer to where you want the pages to appear in the PDF.

Note: When dragging the thumbnail to the top or the bottom of the thumbnail pane, a divider line may appear. To ensure your pages are inserted into the current document, do not drag the thumbnail beyond the divider line.

Release your pointer to move the pages to the location you've selected.

Thanks for exquisite detail! I had tried something very like that. Under View I don't have a Thumbnail option; I have an option to show Sidebar-- which gives me what I would call a thumbnail, to the right of the PDF image. When I drag a thumbnail from one file's sidebar to the other's, I get what looks like what I want, but when I save it, only the file associated with one of the thumbnails remains. Note "(1 page) (2 documents, 2 total pages)" at top of file on attached screen shot...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-11-16 at 8.51.26 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2016-11-16 at 8.51.26 AM.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 270
Reaction score
Thanks for exquisite detail! I had tried something very like that. Under View I don't have a Thumbnail option; I have an option to show Sidebar-- which gives me what I would call a thumbnail, to the right of the PDF image. When I drag a thumbnail from one file's sidebar to the other's, I get what looks like what I want, but when I save it, only the file associated with one of the thumbnails remains. Note "(1 page) (2 documents, 2 total pages)" at top of file on attached screen shot...

AHAH! I found it, here: http://macintoshhowto.com/pdf/how-to-merge-pdf-files-with-preview-in-leopard.html
Things are similar, but just different enough to be troublesome, in OS 10.7 and earlier... !!

Ask a Question