Memorizing Applescript

Reaction score
I have books that teach applescript like "The Missing Manual" And it is all well and good but when I sit down to work on something of my own I have to always got back to a book or find a website That does something like it.

I think what I need to do in Memorize a lot of the basic commands and statements so that when I sit down I will be able to actually start making simple scripts with out always looking in a book or web.

Does anyone know where to find such a think I have looked with no luck..

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I tend to just write the scripts as I go, but any 'snippets' that I think I will use over again I save them in their own script and name them accordingly. All in the same folder to make it easier to find them.

Then when I need to 'remember'/ use that part of a script I can just find it via Spotlight...or the Finder.

It sounds like you just need to set yourself the task of writing one script a day just to get the basics stuck in you head !

Then it will be a lot easier ;-)

Some of the commercial Script editors have better functionality...

Script Debugger is one of the best. They can help you write the script as you go along...

Unless you are scripting regularly it is easy to forget things, and have to go back to the books.

You could also use a "Snippet" style program to add in your bits of code.
I haven't tried this one, Snippet Monkey.

There are also websites for saving snippets, such as this one.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question