Medium write error?

Reaction score
I have an IMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.5.8

I'm trying to burn some CD's with about 18 songs. I've made 4 successful copies, but I've had 4 tries that didn't work. I get a message that says
"unsuccessful due to a medium write error". This happens at the end when it is "finishing up". The first time I put another blank in and the next one was OK, but now each one is rejected. What's the deal?:confused:

Reaction score
Hello, that could be a number of things. Have you tried using different media, cleaning the drive and, or adjusting the burn speed?

Reaction score
Changing the burn speed from fastest possible to 16X had no effect. I've tried a couple of different types of blank CD's. Cleaning the drive - do you mean with a "cleaning disc" that you would buy at Best Buy etc?

The CD's I've done record most of the music, but quit during the later songs, sometimes at #10 (out of 18) and sometimes as far along as halfway thru the last song. I can play them successfully up to that point. I tried a different bunch of songs as a test, with the same result.

Again, what exactly does "medium write error" mean?

Reaction score
"Changing the burn speed from fastest possible to 16X had no effect."
Actually, you might want to start with 1x and move up from there accordingly.

"Cleaning the drive - do you mean with a "cleaning disc" that you would buy at Best Buy etc?"
I'd be careful with the "cleaning discs" as they are known to scratch the lens from time to time. You might want to try compressed air instead.

"Again, what exactly does "medium write error" mean?"
Pretty much, what it says. There was an error writing information to the disc.

Assuming that you have a Superdrive, are you having any problems burning DVD's and are you able to burn data discs?

Ask a Question