SOLVED Mail Viewing

Reaction score
I received a lot of junk mail today and, in order to try to move it all in one move, I dragged the message pane downwards so I could select all the unwanted messages. However, I seem to have removed the lower pane to view the currently selected message. All I see is the list of messages but I can only read them if I double-click each message so that it opens in a separate window. How do I restore the Mail window so that I can see the list of messages in the top half and the selected email content in the lower half? I tried to drag the little dot at the bottom of the window but nothing happens.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

This worked for folks in the past:

Let us know if that fixes it.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. Before I posted my question, I had searched for a fix and tried what was suggested in that post. However, I don't have the option of 'Classic Layout' in Mail preferences. I am on Catalina 10.15.6. My only options are shown in the attached screenshot.

I also found the following link which shows what should be selected in Mail / View. My selections are already the same as what has been advised (ie: Column Layout - checked / Show Side Preview - unchecked.

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh well, by keeping playing about with the edges of the Mail Window, it eventually suddenly went back to how it had been. I've no idea what I did differently, but - hey-ho - it's back to normal so I'm leaving it alone!

Thanks for your reply.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Glad you found a solution, and thanks for updating your thread.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question