SOLVED "Mail Quit Unexpectedly" shows exception type EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Reaction score
My 2012 iMac works just fine but today I have a problem. Mail has decided to crash after 5 seconds or so and is quite unusable. Every time I open it up it is fixed where I was when it crashed: cleaning up mailboxes in Gmail. I have three accounts in Mail, iCloud, Gmail and the one provided by my server.
"Mail Quit Unexpectedly" shows exception type EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Does anyone have any advice how to fix mail please. Naturally I have heaps of stuff in Mail that is important to me.
Thanks in advance,
Pete

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I've sorted it. Bit of browsing and ended up dropping the PersistenceInfo.plist from the Library into trash. Copying all the other Mail files to backup, doing a full backup, then deleting the Gmail account and when I opened up Mail she behaved as she should, but minus the Gmail account. Simple to add Gmail back and right now it's downloading the last of 7510 emails. That must be everything I ever had on GMail and I'm getting it all back, even deleted stuff from years ago. That's OK as long as I 've got back my important stuff.
Patting myself on my back! Sometimes you're lucky!
Cheers and BWs to you all for a brilliant 2020!
Pete

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't respond, but glad you found a solution.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

C

Reaction score
Unless you set the emails to delete from the server, they will be there for download when you reinstall the mail account. I have used this trick on a few occasions when an email has been 'lost' :cool:

Reaction score
I got the whole lot back which is good for the important ones, but I had been expecting to simply re-establish my old mailboxes from the V5 folder. Sounds like I didn't need the backup as Google just poured the whole lot back in. Then again, where are they? Not 7500 I saw downloading. Looks like my mailboxes have just been rebuilt the way I remember them. Has Google "deleted" the ones that I had already deleted again?
Mysterious!

Ask a Question