macOS double sign-in

Reaction score
MacBook Pro retina; macOS Sierra (continually updated)

Sometime in the past 6 or 8 weeks my MacBook Pro added an extra sign-in procedure when I boot it. First, it goes through the usual booting process to the point of offering the normal user options. I sign in as usual and the booting process proceeds. But then, instead of landing me on the desktop, I get a second, unfamiliar sign-in screen that offers the options Guest and Other. I must then type in my normal ID and password, after which booting completes.

I have a MacBook Air with the same version of macOS, and it does not display this behaviour.

Does anyone know how to fix this, and more importantly, what login or booting file is responsible? I have no doubt this is "operator error", but I have no idea what I might have done to produce the double login! :confused:

Thanks.

Reaction score
I am not having this issue, but after doing a google search for "Issue with MacOS double sign in", these two links might be relevant to your situation:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6626285?tstart=0

https://www.macissues.com/2015/03/31/fix-double-login-prompts-on-your-mac/

Thanks! That fixed it. The problem arises when signing in (which first decrypts the boot drive) does not transfer that sign-in to the process of starting the operating system. The second link gives a straight-forward way of fixing the problem.

BTW, your Google search terms were instructive, too. Perhaps I'll do better with my next issue. :)

Reaction score
Thanks! That fixed it. The problem arises when signing in (which first decrypts the boot drive) does not transfer that sign-in to the process of starting the operating system. The second link gives a straight-forward way of fixing the problem.

BTW, your Google search terms were instructive, too. Perhaps I'll do better with my next issue. :)

Cool! Glad that helped. Just be somewhat careful with Google searches, as sometimes the "hits" it finds are too old, and thus not applicable to the situation.

Ask a Question