Macbook Pro 15" 2015 retina display (fans are going wild)

Reaction score
Hej evrione

I am doing a new post here since my posts are getting removed on apple discussions for some reason.

A few months back I did open my macbook and applied a better (corsair) thermal paste and the fans started going wild afterwards. I got told the amount i applied on it was too much so I reopened my macbook yesterday to clean up the thermal paste and then gently put in some little paste again (see picture).

After booting up the first time after new thermal paste the fans still went very loud and my mac was very slow when opening applications and shut down right after it booted up. After doing a PRAM reset two times and tried the SMC reset several times the problem is still there.

My macbook is not usable anymore because it keeps shutting down by itself.

Will upload two pictures, when I opened it yesterday I saw thermal paste has leaked outside the heatsink and the2nd picture will show the amount i applied yesterday too.

Please help!

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 11
  • index01.jpg
    index01.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Your MacBook's behavior sounds like it's overheating, which might be due to improper heat dissipation. This could be caused by too much thermal paste, as it prevents proper contact between the heat sink and the CPU. The paste should be applied sparingly, just enough to fill the micro-gaps.

The paste leakage you mentioned is concerning. It's possible some paste may have gotten onto the motherboard or other components, which could cause short-circuits or other issues.

If you're comfortable doing it, I'd recommend cleaning up the paste thoroughly, and then reapplying a thin layer, ensuring no overflow. But, if you're unsure, it might be best to take it to a professional.

Reaction score
Your MacBook's behavior sounds like it's overheating, which might be due to improper heat dissipation. This could be caused by too much thermal paste, as it prevents proper contact between the heat sink and the CPU. The paste should be applied sparingly, just enough to fill the micro-gaps.

The paste leakage you mentioned is concerning. It's possible some paste may have gotten onto the motherboard or other components, which could cause short-circuits or other issues.

If you're comfortable doing it, I'd recommend cleaning up the paste thoroughly, and then reapplying a thin layer, ensuring no overflow. But, if you're unsure, it might be best to take it to a professional.
Hej

thank you for iformation.

i can sure check by myself. i captured a view of the cpu with the paste after i removed the heatsink and it looked like this (see picture).

I guess Im going to look for thermal paste anywhere within/under the motherboard.

Attachments

• index02.jpg
    index02.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score

Found the mistake. I screwed in the hinges before the heatsink (that was the cause of the issue) *facepalm haha ;))
Regards!

Ask a Question