Spilled some water on 2015 macbook pro a week ago - keyboard dead, and external keyboard working very wonkily. help?

Reaction score
note: 2015 mac-book pro

So since about a week ago... I accidentally spilled my water, on my keyboard. Sigh, it's totally my fault. But since then my keyboard has been totally _dead_. I can't log in to my computer anymore. I press anything on my keyboard? nada. nothing happens so I thought to grab y'know, an external keyboard. Well, it somewhat works. some letters pressed give you input, some don't, and some just work like shit - I press H and it, like backspace, removes letters. Weird!

Anyway, I went into safe mode, given the computer saw me having problems logging in and gave me a prompt to boot recovery mode. Now, all the letters on my external keyboard (main one still dead) - they work perfectly! within recovery mode, anyway. and that's when the problem continues. I resetted my password to a more simple, one-letter one (like, four Vs, four As, etc.). When I try to log in - enter the new, simple one outside of safe mode when booting in. Well, it don't work. It's apparently the wrong pasword! I'm not sure why, but given theýre familiar blurred dots when entering the password, they might not be the right letters.

Okay, there's the option when booting in recovery mode - unlock filevault. So, I typed my password iin safe mode (works perfectly well...) but then apparently "the password supplied fails to unlock your computer or some such". I'm now at a loss, because, well, my warranty's long past dead (got this in 2016) and I don't wanna lose any of my data in case repairs have to reset or restart something or some such.

Is there anything I can do?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for your dilemma.

It sounds like the built-in keyboard could be affecting the external, as the Mac may think some keys on it are pressed.

Because you have FileVault enabled, I strongly suggest that you work with an Apple Store Genius Bar or AppleCare, as any corruption to the drive or FileVault can prevent you from recovering any data.

Sorry and good luck!

C

Ask a Question