Mac Pro 6.1 not booting up, loud fan noise, red and orange lights coming from the bottom

Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought a late 2013 Mac Pro from ebay. Worked amazingly well for 2 weeks, then it started going really slow and the fan was constantly at max speed even while loading up. I can't seem to reset the PRAM, it just shuts down instead of doing a 2nd chime. Also trying to boot in safe mode causes it to shut down. I can't get it to boot up anymore either. The diagnostic gave me these error codes PFM006 (smc problem), VFD001 (Video problem) VFF001 (Audio problem). I have tried resetting the SMC, but I can't tell if it was actually reset or not. The OS was High Sierra. It has a 6 core CPU, 64GB Ram and D300 graphics card.

The problem originally started whilst using Logic pro x, that's the only program I actually used on this machine. I kept it offline except for doing the diagnostic check. It seems the hard drive has been cloned from an Imac, would that have something to do with it? The ebay seller has the exact same pics and description for multiple listings, saying that Logic pro and loads of Adobe programs were installed by the previous owner so is probably just cloning all this stuff to all the Macs they're selling

Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
I guess I'm stuck with a £1,500 trash can that worked for less than 2 weeks. Typical

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Did you follow this to reset the SMC: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - How to reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers

At first glance, it sounds to me like a software issue. If the seller was indeed using a cloned iMac drive image, there could be a few System pieces that aren't correct for that model Mac Pro. In addition, it is illegal to distribute licensed software like the Adobe and Apple pro apps in that way.

-Have you noticed any issues with the system clock - is it accurate to the current date & time?
-Any other issues - freezing/hanging/etc.?
-Have you verified the RAM sticks are the correct size and speed for that Mac Pro - 240-pin PC3-14900 (1866 MHz) DDR3 ECC SDRAM
-Are you willing to erase the flash storage and start over with a fresh install of the macOS?
-Do you have an external drive that you could install macOS on and startup from to see if it is indeed a software issue?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I followed the SMC reset instructions, it didn't help, if it did reset.

The hard drive was named imac2012, so I'm just guessing it was cloned from an imac.

Everything worked perfectly for about a week and a half, no freezing or crashing.
The RAM sticks say cisco ucs-mr-1x162ry-a on them, I can't seem to find much info on if they're compatible with Mac Pro.

If I did a fresh install, I would lose all the programs that were previously installed on the mac right? The software was the main selling point for me, even though I primarily use only Logic, I wanted to try out the Adobe stuff.

I do have an external drive to install from but I don't have macOS installation disks

Reaction score
I erased the drive and did a clean OS installation, it's still the same. Loud fan, red and orange lights in the bottom and everything's super slow.

I did notice when I opened up the mac that one of the graphics cards is not connected properly, but I can't get it to stay connected properly. I've attached some pics. Is this likely to be the problem and how do I get it to stay in place? Would it be safe to boot up the mac while I just hold it in place to see if that's the problem, or wedge some electrical tape between the lid and the connection to hold it there?

Attachments

• macpro 2013 gpu 1.jpg
    macpro 2013 gpu 1.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 997
  • macpro 2013 gpu 2.jpg
    macpro 2013 gpu 2.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 471
  • macpro 2013 gpu 3.jpg
    macpro 2013 gpu 3.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 668

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

Yes, the graphics card connector not being seated properly could definitely cause that issue. The pins in that connector are VERY fragile, so use extreme caution when handling the connector and cable. I do not advise simply holding it in place with your finger or tape, as it needs to be fully seated. If it isn't, and AC power is applied, it could easily short out and burnout the connector/graphics card/logic board.

You could fully disconnect the cable and inspect for any bent/missing pins. If none, you can reconnect it, being very careful to apply even pressure across the connector and making sure it is fully seated and the plastic clips click into place. Also, check the eight plastic clips around the border of the connector that hold it in place. Hopefully the previous owner hasn't removed that graphics card, as the thermal paste application is a precise measurement.

If you aren't confident, you could always take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for assistance and diagnostics.

C

Ask a Question