mac mini changes my name frequently and PW not working

Reaction score
Every once in a while I receive a question with a (!) Do you want to change Sigrid'sMac Mini to 1,2,3,4,5 and now 6. There is nothing I can, other than click ''ok' in order to continue.
When I try to unlock my user /administrator - password does not work

Thank you for your help

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac mini?
-Which version of OS X?
-Are you using and Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection simultaneously?
-Do you have File Sharing enabled?
-Is this mini used at home or at work/school on a network?
-Is there more than one account on the Mac - is your user an admin?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory Cooper, thank you replying to my questions.

My Mac Mini model is (late 2014)
It is an OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.6 -
I am using Internet and Wifi, but simultaneously - I am not sure:
My husband and I are using the Mac mini with a Netgear router and internet service from Cox. If this is meant "simultaneously"; He may be on the Mac and I may be on IPAD.
We can both access all files and email accounts - no PW is used to open the Device
The user/Administrator is I, Sigrid.

For a bit more of information: We usually turn the Mac off at night, because it is in the bedroom - we don't want all these blue and red lights etc. glimmering. When starting the device, the screen opens with "stickies, calendar, a warning sign in black, showing what's happening every second (Is that a problem?) and messages etc. and I am unable to alter this, meaning, NOT to have to remove all this before getting to the screen.

Password chosen at initiation by Apple store personnel for all things on my Mac is suddenly rejected, when I want to unlock the button for the administrator.

Maybe this is too much of information or too many questions. So, I think the main question was, "What is this change from Sigrids Mac Mini 1 - (I am at 7 now)
Thank you so much for your help.

Reaction score
Hi Sigrid,

I also have a Mac Mini, a late 2012 model, along with a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air. I am using the latest version of Sierra (OS 10.12.2) on both machines. Also, there have been times when our son is visiting us, and he uses his 2014 15" MacBook Pro on my WiFi network, while I am using on one of my machines. We have not encountered the issues you are having.

I also have a Netgear router, and I am using a "special" Arris Telephony Modem that I purchased for use with my ISP, Comcast (we have landline phone service with Comcast, and that is why I need such a "special" modem).

A couple of additional questions:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? If you have, what tools do you use?

2. Are you making backups to an external device? That will be needed if you need to do any disk cleanup/repairs/maintenance.

Regarding all the "stuff" you are seeing when you startup your machine, as Cory suggested in another forum, you should look in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items, and let us know what you see.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Sigrid,

I also have a Mac Mini, a late 2012 model, along with a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air. I am using the latest version of Sierra (OS 10.12.2) on both machines. Also, there have been times when our son is visiting us, and he uses his 2014 15" MacBook Pro on my WiFi network, while I am using on one of my machines. We have not encountered the issues you are having.

I also have a Netgear router, and I am using a "special" Arris Telephony Modem that I purchased for use with my ISP, Comcast (we have landline phone service with Comcast, and that is why I need such a "special" modem).

A couple of additional questions:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? If you have, what tools do you use?

2. Are you making backups to an external device? That will be needed if you need to do any disk cleanup/repairs/maintenance.

Regarding all the "stuff" you are seeing when you startup your machine, as Cory suggested in another forum, you should look in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items, and let us know what you see.

Thank you for your reply. One of the problems I have, which may be related to the Mac Mini changes the name # constantly "Sigrid's Mac Mini # 1,2, etc. is the fact, that when I go to Systems Preferences to unlock, my password is rejected. I am not to keen to change the password, since it will change it for everything I am doing. The PW was initially entered by an Apple store tech, when they set up the device. I only back up on a flash drive, letters and writings that we both do, but we are not in any business and it is not essential.

Sigrid

Reaction score
Not backing up is bad, and no disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs is also bad. While you might not have anything critical on your machine, those are still not good practices. A computer is like a car, and it requires maintenance.

In any event, given the issues you are having, the best solution would be to 1) Erase and Format your internal drive, and 2) perform a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of El Capitan. That way you can set up your own account and password (make sure you remember what those are). To do that, though, will require preparation on your part. The first thing you'll need to do is go to the App Store and download the OS X El Capitan file. Once that completes, there will be a file inside your Applications folder entitled "Install OS X El Capitan".

Next, you'll need an empty USB Thumb Drive/Flash Drive. I would use one that is 16 gig in size.

Then, you need to make the Thumb Drive a bootable El Capitan installer drive. This link explains how to do that:

http://www.macworld.com/article/298...le-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-installer-drive.html

As you can see, one of the steps involves entering your admin-level account password. With your situation, I don't know what that is. Hopefully, you have a valid one.

Finally, when that process completes, restart your Mac from that just created El Capitan Flash Drive (that link contains instructions on how to do that). Once that occurs, you'll see the screen shown in this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

You would first select #4, Disk Utility to Erase and Format your internal drive. Then, select #2, and that will install a clean version, OS 10.11.6, of El Capitan.

Reaction score
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME. I AM NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ALL THESE CHANGES. I HAD BETTER HAVE AN APPLE TECHNICIAN HELP ME.

HAVE A GREAT DAY
SIGRID

Reaction score
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME. I AM NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ALL THESE CHANGES. I HAD BETTER HAVE AN APPLE TECHNICIAN HELP ME.

HAVE A GREAT DAY
SIGRID

Please, please turn off your caps lock key! It makes it look like you are shouting!

Ask a Question